Fly Tying

lovin' those 'gills

took the ol' long rod to a local park today....have been teaching a neighbor's boy to tie a few patterns so I let him tag along and give his flies a flip. On his first cast, using a little chenille worm he fancied himself, he busted a really nice gill! The afternoon progressed like that unitl just a few minutes shy of sunset. Between the two of us, we had maybe thirty fish hooked and released. Not bad for mid Febuary! Tight lines fellas.

Sounds like a blast. We are expecting 6 to 9 inches of heavy wet snow tonight. It will be quite a while before I get into some gills.

Nice to see you post!

John

Big Daddy,

I know the reward you are talking about.

I have taken a youg boy from our church fishing several times

(his dad had a kidney transplant and cannot risk being close to pond & stream water and fish = risk of infection)

I loaned him a fly rod taught him some simple patterns, and the kid is doing real good.

For his birthday in January, I ave him an old, but good vise, tools, and about $40 worth of material. Better than any kit and I hardly noticed anything misssing (I have too much junk).

He love it and wants to know when he can start selling his flies. good kid.

It's great to invest in someone else.

Conehead

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Feb 15 2005, 08:25 PM)
took the ol' long rod to a local park today....have been teaching a neighbor's boy to tie a few patterns so I let him tag along

I wonder what other bad habits he picked up along the way. dunno.gif ...lol

Good to hear from ya. cool.gif

QUOTE (lewy271 @ Feb 16 2005, 03:10 PM)
Very cool...More kids should be out fishing instead of playing video games and eating potato chips.

if by kids you mean, 15, im in that group. Got tired of video games, started fishing, led to me fishign every day, led to saltwater fishing, led to fly fishing and now i do all that plus the art of tying, hell im not great but practice makes perfect.. or does it? anyways point being is ill get there one day, im all self tought, theres 1 fly of mine floating around, the peppermint minnow. umm yea mayb this post was a waste bt w/e dunno.gif

QUOTE (Po0gs @ Feb 16 2005, 03:43 PM)
Very cool...More kids should be out fishing instead of playing video games and eating potato chips.

if by kids you mean, 15, im in that group. Got tired of video games, started fishing, led to me fishign every day, led to saltwater fishing, led to fly fishing and now i do all that plus the art of tying, hell im not great but practice makes perfect.. or does it? anyways point being is ill get there one day, im all self tought, theres 1 fly of mine floating around, the peppermint minnow. umm yea mayb this post was a waste bt w/e dunno.gif

Keep it up bro, and you'll see that in 10-15 years you'll be in better shape and healthier than all the ones who didnt get off the couch. The sickness that we suffer from is terminal with no cure, and no one looking for a cure. In 70-80 years you'll prolly die of it, that is if you dont get married. dunno.gif

Teach a kid to hunt, and you won't have to hunt for your kids...

includes fishing, methinks....

Watching a kid catch fish on flys is such a gas!!

I taught my youngest (12 yrs) to cast a bit, and he caught a bunch of fish. He has no interest in tying (yet mad.gif ), but he's hooked on fishing!

QUOTE (BadKarma @ Feb 17 2005, 08:16 AM)
QUOTE (Po0gs @ Feb 16 2005, 03:43 PM)

Keep it up bro, and you'll see that in 10-15 years you'll be in better shape and healthier than all the ones who didnt get off the couch. The sickness that we suffer from is terminal with no cure, and no one looking for a cure. In 70-80 years you'll prolly die of it, that is if you dont get married. dunno.gif

Thanks man, I plan to keep it, maybe youll see me in contests in a half a year or so, I dont know, i just hope to be on the tour one day or bah thats far off just cuz i hold the record at my local lake doesnt mean im pro blink.gif lol bah i have fun doign what i do rolleyes.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

When I see a kid with a fishing Tshirt or ball cap, I always ask about their fishing. Before I say good by, I always tell'em if you get to learn to fish or hunt it's because someone loves you.

There is no fishing team. You can't just drop your kid off, twice a week for an hour or hour and half, like you can if you play baseball or soccer.

Nope, someone is going to have to take the initiative to get you out and teach you to fish or hunt. The kid learns something, and acquires a roll model.