Fly Tying
breambuster

Skill Builder Trout Series Round 3

OK, So far we have received flies from Riff, Idaho RC and Jacktjl. All sets look extremely nice, and I appreciate the extras, guys. Extras are always appreciated.

Take care

BB

Don't look for mine just yet. I actually have 3 complete 12 fly sets I could send you right now. I am not personally happy with any of them. I am going to take one more shot at the set and if I don't think it's a marked improvement for these earlier sets I'll just flip a coin. I beautifully done wet fly is almost a piece of art. Mine are lucky to be called graffiti.

Don't look for mine just yet. I actually have 3 complete 12 fly sets I could send you right now. I am not personally happy with any of them. I am going to take one more shot at the set and if I don't think it's a marked improvement for these earlier sets I'll just flip a coin. I beautifully done wet fly is almost a piece of art. Mine are lucky to be called graffiti.

That is why this is a "skill builder" Do your best and remember this is not a contest, it's fun. I may call some of mine "cripples"rolleyes.gif

By the way, I have even tried some serious marrying of feathers and have a version of a Parmachene Belle in there for you done before I really studied recipe. Here's what's happening to me or I'd actually try a set of them. I carefully lay white strip down. Join the red stripe on top of it and it sets fairly well and would be usable. I try to get the third strip of white on top and things go south in a hurry. That strip just won't get in there solid for me. I do know by know having spent money on many different feathers that unless you get really good, matching feathers you don't have a chance. I think there are some shops out that hand sort feathers for the salmon fly guys and maybe I'll talk to a couple of them and see what they get for theirs. Too many of the tips of my feathers are "fuzzy" or split ends and even if mated don't look well together.

Ok vicrider I am so with you on the materials. I tied some partridge and turkey variants and had a tough time with some of the turkey wing materials. I was on my way to take my wife's car in for service and there was road kill turkey right next to the car dealer with some beautiful wing and tail feathers just waiting to be plucked. My wife looked at me and said "don't you dare".

I

Why do wife's look at us funny when we want to stop on the side of the road😂

About three weeks ago, Wife was looking out the front window when a truck hit a squirrel right in front of the house. She isn't overly sentimental, but the "awww" was my cue to go make sure it was dead.

By the time I walked out of the garage, she was out on the front porch. I heard her laugh when she saw the machete in my hand.

It was dead ... I tossed it off the road so the vultures could clean it up, then took the tail.

She was just shaking her head as I walked back towards the house.

Mine's the same way Riff but for her it's to see if something is still fresh enough for dinner. Ever since we ate at the Roadkill Cafe, "From your grill to our grille" she thinks everything's edible.

By the way Riff, I ordered just a couple sets of feathers from feathersmc and will see if the cost is justified in quality. With shipping a couple of packs of feathers for $10 product is not the only thing they're making money on. If I can get these to marry up I have a beautiful fly I would love to submit. We'll see.

ps...kiddin' about the roadkill...

That explains the tire tracks on the flies I got from you in that swap you did.

Hey! I kind of like the "barring" effect !!!