Fly Tying
breambuster

Skill Builder Trout Series Round 3

I'm one of those guys that stops for anything that has been "waffeled" I live near a road nicknamed "deer alley" because there's at least one deer smacked a week. One Day, on the way to church, i stopped to wack a tail. my wife was screaming at me, the kids were laughing and i came home with a tail. waste not want not.

Okay BB, I'm done. I ordered some very expensive per feather feathers from a site designed for classic salmon folks. I went to the "married" section and ordered red and white goose feathers. Turns out they were shoulder feathers instead of quills and not only could I not get them to mate but when I sort of did they were too soft and collapsed when trying to tie them on. They'll go into my bin of lost feathers and hopefully some day find a use for them. Pretty feathers but didn't help me any.

So, I sent them off today. Put both the second and third attempts in there. First attempts I'll save for bluegill fishing. The second attempt are on what a smaller hook and used the wings flaring out tie. The third attempt uses a slight bigger hook and uses the wing tied facing into each other and centered. Since this is a "skill builder" swap these will have to be marked to down to the learning experience. Comparing the attempts I tried a few years ago on feathers wings and giving up on them it did me good to fight with these and begin to actually get some of the wings to come out fairly decent. I really like the way the flies use a tag, then feather, then floss or dubbing, then rib and beard. When you put that together with a decent set of wings it make a very cool looking fly. These might get me to build a shadow box when they come back in from the field.

Okay BB, I'm done. I ordered some very expensive per feather feathers from a site designed for classic salmon folks. I went to the "married" section and ordered red and white goose feathers. Turns out they were shoulder feathers instead of quills and not only could I not get them to mate but when I sort of did they were too soft and collapsed when trying to tie them on. They'll go into my bin of lost feathers and hopefully some day find a use for them. Pretty feathers but didn't help me any.

I use goose all the time, and yes, they have collapsing issues.

post-13174-0-02949500-1462012927_thumb.jpg

Well Henrik, next swap we're in together you're going to get some nice feathers you can make work. I can't. That fly is beautiful.

BB, you off on some job taking you out of town or just fishing? Any updates for us since tracking showed mine getting there a couple of days ago.

Flys have hatched and are in the mail. Should have them by Tues.

For those wondering BB got hold of me and let me know he's experiencing computer meltdown and will return soon.

I screwed up and got my due dates mixed up. Should have written them down! Anyway I thought I had until the 24th to finish these, I will finish them today and get them in the mail tomorrow at the latest. Since they are not going to Troutguy in Rock Hill they probably should get there by Saturday. Sorry for the lateness.wacko.png

Hey Guys, I am S-L-O-W-L-Y recovering from a COMPLETE computer melt down and crash. I was finally able to get a new computer today but so far I haven't been able to recover hardly anything from the outboard back-up disk that I had on my old computer. Virtually nothing so far. I have not been able to reestablish a link with my email provider yet, so don't think I'm ignoring your emails. It's just that I can't get to them. For some reason the new computer won't accept my password for the emails. But I'm working on it. And I'm spending all my time working and failing on the new computer and I'm way behind on fly tying. In other words, I'm pretty frustrated right now. PLEASE be patient with me. And if you know any good IT people in the Midlands of SC, PLEASE send them to my house.

BB

Well this is embarassing, but I will be late. The flies will be in the mail by the 15th, but there is no way they will arrive on time. Sorry about that Everyone. New style of tying has just taken longer to complete.

Well this is embarassing, but I will be late. The flies will be in the mail by the 15th, but there is no way they will arrive on time. Sorry about that Everyone. New style of tying has just taken longer to complete.

I'm in sort of the same boat. Got them 3/4 done (tied 3 dozen and only 9 came out acceptable) and haven't had time to get back to the vise to finish. Have been right out straight. Can probably get them done over the weekend. Should I do that or would that be too late?