Fly Tying
breambuster

Skill Builder Trout Series Round 3

OK, this is for everyone. First, we have fishingbobnelson's flies. Thanks Bob. To everyone who is late, I'm going to be tying flies this weekend also. My recent computer problem has taken precident over everything else and I'm behind as well. If you're late, that's ok. You've let me know that you're going to be late and that you're working on it. What frustrates me is when guys are late and I'm trying to get in touch with them to check on their status and can't get a reply from them. Wet flies with wings are tough and we all have other things we have to do besides tying flies. Work on them with some sense of priority because you know you are late, and get them in as soon as you can.

Thanks

BB

I have finished my flies, and really struggled with this. I thought I was a better tier. While mounting the wings certainly improved over the course of the month, I felt like I struggled with my materials. I could not get a Dun hen hackle that suited the pattern. In the end, i do not think I found it, nor was I pleased with the throat on the fly.

I also struggled with consistency, but the best dozen are ready to be on their way as soon as I can get an address to send it to.

Seth

stillis, I'm sure not expecting a museum set of classics for sure. Based on the amount of trouble I had I almost hope a lot of others had to send flies they weren't as happy with as they'd liked to have been. Make me feel more a part of the swap. I am going to say that by the end of the swap I was really getting pretty good at placement and tying down of the wings but came to realize how important good feathers are. What I found on 3 different set of feathers ordered during the course of this swap is that I would have a left side feather with nice curve and solid marrying of every fiber. The other side would look like they'd been in fight and lost. If a person could sit and sort the feathers at a top quality fly shop and pick what he really wants to work with the flies would definitely be easier to make look decent in the winging.

Believe me I tried and I sent two set of flies, one with wings turned out and one with wings turned in to blend together. I don't know that either way worked much better but remember, before those beautiful pics we see of other's flies, they are the best of tiers and they still brush and push wings up and down to get them looking their best for pics. Since using these flies is actually becoming more popular on the stream and if you pick three nice ones to go out and swing them across and down and lift to raise them at the end, I think you will surprise yourself and actually catch some fish when surface activity is not selective.

Vicrider,

I hear you on the feathers. I didn't do a married wing pattern, and still had a heck of a time getting good feathers together. Everything I have read said to get whole matched wings, which i could NOT find in any of my local shops. In the end I bought a giant pile of the (un)"Matched" pairs. I did get good wing sets, and was pleased with them. However, I feel like I used too much thread at the heads, and couldn't get the right throat.

Just not at all thrilled with the outcome, which is good as my personality will dictate that I will tie nothing else until I get it right. I am very compulsive like that.

One of the things that helped me with the wing was moving from an 8/0 to a 6/0 thread, but I didn't like the bulk, but it built a nice tent shaped wing.

Any hints on getting a good throat? I used Collins Dun hen hackle, did two turns, and pulled it down and underneath. I couldn't strip barbs and tie it in as a throat and get nice results.

Since we are getting close to the end of this 3rd round of the Skill Builders Series, I thought I would say a word or two about my plans for where we go from here. I'm thinking that 2 more rounds should be enough. Two more swaps and I think we will bring this series to an end. The next round will be Classic Dry Flies with the exception that wings can be made of modern materials IF the tyer wants to use it. I will be using the traditional Lemon Wood Duck, but Riff has a very nice dry fly that has some nice wings. Participants in that round will be asked to tie a traditional-style or "Catskill Style" dry fly, with whatever wings you want to put on it. And the final round, round 5 will be parachute dry flies, and I will HAVE to learn to tie a parachute. I need to at least know how to tie an Parachute Adams. Can anyone say they are a fly tyer who can't tie a Parachute Adams? I think not. So that's going to be our 5th and final round of the Skill Builder Series. This is just thinking and talking. I will let everyone know when it's time to sign up, but that time hasn't come yet. I just wanted to let everyone know where I am thinking about going with the series. Comments?

Take care

BB

OK, Guys, I think I have all (or must of the) bugs worked out as far as getting up to speed on my new computer. Who would have thought that a complete computer meltdown would occur right in the middle of a swap? And to the Swapmeister, no less. And for me, computer isn't just a fun thing to do after work, but it is a major tool IN my work. So I had to do what I had to do.

Anyway, I've updated the roster in the initial post of this thread to indicate the sets of flies I've received. There are still 4 sets out. I know this is partly my fault because of my computer problems, so I will shoulder my share of the blame. Also, Add147 has had to withdraw. His wife has been in the hospital for an extended period of time with a series of complications, but she is home now, and we are all glad for that. Add, I hope she continues to do well, & it's good to hear that she is finally at home.

So, for the rest of the sets that are out, guys, let's try to at least get them in the mail by Tuesday, June 1. That will give you the rest of this week and Memorial Day weekend to get them finished. I would have said May 30, but that's Memorial Day and the Post Office will be closed, so let's make it June 1. Please try to at least get them in the mail by then. If you have any problems with that, please let me know.

Thanks Guys,

BB

My flies are in the mail. I'm not very happy with them, I need to do a lot more work learning how to do the wings.

I apologize for being late.

The flies looks something similar to this (or at least some of them do...)

Block_House_zpsshjrn2op.jpg

hey guys i think i have the flies for this swap waiting to be sent i am in a coulpe of swaps and It appears i havent sent these... can someone send me the address please.

Hey Guys, RexW's flies are here. Very nice. Thanks. Also Chris_NH and PJ2 have assured me that their flies will be here in a timely manner. Still waiting to hear from EastTNourdoorsman. He may be wading the Little Pigeon River in the Great Smokies, so we will give him time to respond. Hope you all have a pleasant weekend and don't forget to honor the memories of all those who made the supreme sacrifice so that we could have the privilege of wading cold streams in search of Mr Trout!

Take care

BB

My flies are in the mail. I'm not very happy with them, I need to do a lot more work learning how to do the wings.

I apologize for being late.

The flies looks something similar to this (or at least some of them do...)

Block_House_zpsshjrn2op.jpg

Looks pretty good to me!

Hey Guys, I've just heard from EastTNoutdoorsman and he is going to have to withdraw also. So that means that there will only be 11 in the swap instead of the 13 we began with. I'm still waiting for flies from PJ2 and Chris_NH, but, hopefully, they will be here soon. As soon as I can after the last set arrives, I'll have them back in the mail to you. I think you are all going to agree that they are worth the wait. Despite all the moaning and groaning, you guys have done well.

Take care

BB

Hey Guys, I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that PJ2's flies arrived yesterday and Chris_NH's set arrived today. With 2 drop-outs that says that we've got all the flies in that we are going to get. The bad news is that I didn't get a chance to work with them today. SOMEBDODY planned a 50 +- mile long yard sale today and my wife HAD to participate. So we set up tables & sold all the junk she wanted to get rid of today. Problem was that nobody wanted MY stuff. I did finally sell about 25 Louis L'Amour books for $.20 apiece. Golf books didn't sell, golf clubs didn't sale, compound bow didn't sell. So my excuse for today was that I was trying to keep the little lady happy. Vacation Bible School starts tomorrow and that's going to complicate not only my work but my fly sorting space next week, but I'll find a time and I'll make it work. And I'll let you know when they go into the mail. I may be able to get the pictures made tomorrow afternoon. If not, Monday. I wait and do them all at once, because the wife would NOT be happy if I left the makeshift studio on the dining room table any longer than absolutely necessary. Next swap will be classic dry flies, so be thinking about what pattern you want to tie.

Take care

BB

I been warming up...RC with Mallard Wings...Mosquitoes with All Grizzlie hackle tip wings, tail, hackle and stripped quill,

and a March Brown variant with Mallard wings and tail dyed Wooduck, stripped peacock eye, and Cree hackle.

e81e9a87-da19-4ee8-8e54-4d8653e85d70_zps

DSC01507_zpsucy7ps4i.jpg

DSC01508_zpsrshnjree.jpg

DSC01509_zps5zkb3mvh.jpg

DSC01510_zps3vilmdph.jpg