Fly Tying
breambuster

Skill Builder Trout Series Round 3

Our next fly is by Idaho RC. I know that he struggled considerably with the wings early on. But I think finding the right feathers helped. Guinea tends to be a bit ragged on the ends. And I think that using a right wing feather and a left wing feather, rather than trying to use a piece from either side of the same feather made a big difference. I only have a couple of questions about this fly. The first is that the tail seems to be a bit wide to me. Maybe just a few less fibers to make the tail a bit more slender? The second, and this is getting picky, is that there is a narrowing between the back of the head and the beginning of the wing. Perhaps the head could taper a bit more into the shoulder of the wing rather than making the fly look like it has a skinny neck. But overall, Idaho RC, good work. Thanks for participating.

I remember the tails looking fine when they left here. What did you do to my flies? The tail seem to have grown quite a bit since they have been in your care.

Thank you again for allowing me to participate. I am really looking forward to seeing all of the flies.

Well, I sure THOUGHT I had done a picture and critique of Fishingbobnelson's wonderful fly. I distinctly remember thinking "who am I to critique a fly tied by Bob Nelson???" Anyway, apologies for not getting into the original line-up, but here it is. A very nice fly tied with grizzly hackle tip wings. The only thing I see wrong with this fly is that it doesn't have a LARGE trout hanging from the point! Seriously, it's a very nice fly, and to my eye, all the proportions are right. Bob it is ALWAYS a pleasure to have you in one of my swaps.

Take care

post-747-0-75814900-1465348617_thumb.jpg

Also BB, I think you did pics of two flies of mine from the same set. I thought I did one set with wings up and away and one set with wings against each other and turned down. My wings were all from Goose Biot feathers and it seems like no matter which pair I used one side was always a lot nicer than the other side.

OK. Vic, Let me look back through what I have and see if I can find one from each set. I'll make some pictures of what I have and see if I can get them posted here.

BB

OK. I'm pretty sure I now have pictures of both of Vicrider's two sets of flies. The first one is the same fly that I posted pictures of yesterday. The wings are tight together and the tips go down. In the second picture, the wings are spread apart and the tips go up. I have also included a picture of his Parmachene Belle for you all to see. I hope I got these pictures right and I hope you all enjoy.

BB

post-747-0-56116400-1465407156_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-91667900-1465407184_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-24772600-1465407341_thumb.jpg

Also, I would appreciate if you guys would post here what type of feather you used for your wings. There were a couple, such as Riff's fly, that I didn't recognize. Please identify the material and tell me how easy it was to work with.

Turkey feathers on the Alder wing. It was terrible to work with. Was the least enjoyment I ever got out of fly tying with nearly 4 dozen tied to get a dozen that I wasn't completely embarrassed to send in. LOL

I won't be able to continue on to next round. Just too much going on. Thanks for hosting BB.

Well, I sure THOUGHT I had done a picture and critique of Fishingbobnelson's wonderful fly. I distinctly remember thinking "who am I to critique a fly tied by Bob Nelson???" Anyway, apologies for not getting into the original line-up, but here it is. A very nice fly tied with grizzly hackle tip wings. The only thing I see wrong with this fly is that it doesn't have a LARGE trout hanging from the point! Seriously, it's a very nice fly, and to my eye, all the proportions are right. Bob it is ALWAYS a pleasure to have you in one of my swaps.

Take care

Well then BB I will critique it then. Fishing Bob... I like it!

OK. Guys, the sets of flies are in the mail coming back to you. I mailed them this afternoon so you should have them in a few days. We had a couple of guys to drop out of the swap and so I divided the left overs with you. There were two extra and so I kept one and sent the other back to you. Several of you guys included extra flies for me in your sets and I REALLY appreciate that. I've teased Vicrider several times about tying a Parmachene Belle and he actually tied one for this swap. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of it to post here. He really did a nice job with it. The fun part, I'm sure, is marrying a wing feather to have a white then a red and then another white stripe in it. But he did a good job with it. I also got a couple of others, including one from Riff that made use of SEVERAL married stripes of feather. My wife is making a collection of flies to put in a shadow box to hang on the wall, and these are definitely candidates for that. Thanks guys.

I will be posting info soon about the next swap which will be Classic Dry Flies. If you know that you're going to be interested in being a part of that one, you can go ahead and post here that you want in, and when I post the new thread, your names will already be on the list.

Also, I would appreciate if you guys would post here what type of feather you used for your wings. There were a couple, such as Riff's fly, that I didn't recognize. Please identify the material and tell me how easy it was to work with.

Thanks

BB

I used turkey tail. As BB noted my hooks were a little longer almost streamer length. I am certainly not an expert on tying wet flys but I think it depends on the thickness of the fibers when you tie them down on the hook. On a shorter hook I think you would need a shorter pair of wing feathers because when you tie it down a longer fiber length crushes and loses shape more easily. If you have to tie it down at a spot where the fibers are thinner just to conform to the classic wing length you could have problems. I hope that makes sense. Also the middle sections of the feathers tend to have the right consistency for wet flys. Again I am by no means an expert nor anything close to that .

Overall, I enjoyed the swap and will certainly tie a few to the end of my tippet. Thanks BB

Tim

Guys 1st off nice job by all. Double vision is getting better so I promise to challenge myself with the next set. BB would a Wulff pattern work or are you going for more of a Catskills dry?

Great looking set of files in my mail this morning. Looking forward to getting them "wet" soon. I know a Sierra steam that will be perfect for any one of them. Thanks for hosting BB, and thanks to all the tyers who completed the challenge.

Wow! What a nice bunch of flies. Amazing bunch of tiers!

Thanks for letting me participate. And thanks so much for hosting the swap. I defiantly would like to participate in the next round.

Yep, heck of a nice bunch of flies flew in this morning. I know the 'gills in the local ponds will chew them up if I never get to a trout stream to use them. I've seriously thought about getting out and taking all the flies I've accumulated in swaps and catch a fish, change the fly, catch a fish, change the fly, until I've had them all chewed on at least once. Probably take more than one summer with as little as I get out and how many wonderful swap flies I have tucked away in multiple fly boxes.

I received my set of flies this morning, beatiful work everybody. I was glad to be a part of it, let me know if you need me to participate in either the parachute, or the classic dry swaps.

I got my set today great tying by all. For my book it s actually a size 8 wide gap. I use them a lot here on my home river for brown trout. The recipe for my fly goes as follows. Tail: golden pheasant crest Butt: blue dyed ostrich Body: silver tinsel flat Wing: mottled oak wild turkey wing Throat: scarlet hackle. The mottled oak turkey wing is kind of a rare find I get them from wild turkey I shoot and there is only like 2 or 3 per wing so to get a matched set is a bit of luck. As for working with it I love it marries nice and retains its shape very well.