Fly Tying
Hookedintheear

Just a thought

To the OP: I don't know about pinning, who does it or how they do it. But I do know that the search function here has always been :lame. And just for the record, the forums here are about fly tying and about fly fishing etc. One should feel free to ask about what it is they need to know as long as it pertains to the given forum, IMO. I mean where would they want you to go, to an archery forum or gun forum ? And yes, there is google, bing etc. I use them all the time but for the sake of fellowship within the forum it seems to me if someone wants to ask a question, ask it and if if someone wants to reply or not is up to them. I know for sure though, that when I join a new forum I always make mistakes, after I have been a member for a while I may still make one. It's called human nature.

On another note, if you can't find materials sufficient for your needs between just a few vendors you probably don't really need it or need to shoot it yourself LOL !

Try these three very well stocked suppliers, between them they should have about all you could ever need with a few exceptions:

Bears Den

J.Stockhard

Jann's Netcraft

whatever you find, create a folder in your bookmarks and save the links there. no need for sticky

bookmarks_zpsdkebi3dj.jpg

The Internet Age has made everyone's knowledge 2 miles wide and half an inch deep. Most people are totally helpless without it. Sad.

HITE... I for one would be sorry to lose your fellowship after only such a short time. If you've lurked on this site for any time, you should be aware that every question/suggestion generates a hundred different opinions, hardly any of them in agreement. It's our nature. Sometimes one among us gets a bit too rough. In any group of humans, there are bound to be a few that are less than perfect.

Please don't let yourself be driven away by a few ruffians. (not me of course :-).

Oh I'm not leaving. Just plan on not making anymore suggestions. I mean I understand how to use/purpose of the search function but I thought I could help other guys just starting out.

Who knows.... might still happen. Some of the threads that have been pinned in the past probably would have gotten panned if someone asked.

Just PM Steeldrifter. An administrator can pin any thread, and he's the guy to make suggestions to.

I joined about a week ago and have spent many hours searching though hundreds of posts. I have found answers to all my questions, so I agree with some effort you can find answers to all your questions or help in making a decision, i.e., vises. However, it's a double edge sword...without all those similar posts and all the information/advise/links you guys have provided, guys like me wouldn't find answers. All in all, this is an amazing board with very knowledgable & helpful members. I would hate to see that a new person couldn't make a post under the beginner section of the forum. Thanks for everyone's efforts and patience with us newbies.

whatever you find, create a folder in your bookmarks and save the links there. no need for sticky

EXACTLY !!!!!

It was just a suggestion. Keep my mouth shut from now on.

I agree, it was just a suggestion. I see no problem in it.

You should understand though that when you make a statement here it generates a thread LOL !

Not only that, but many if not most of the entries will be in disagreement with each other. Each person posts his reply based on his/her own personal way of fishing, reason for fishing, target species, etc. Hopefully most of them will not only simply tell you "I think you should buy this" but will provide some explanation as to why they think that. You aren't going to take every single replier's advice.... your job is to apply all the answers, and reasons, to your own situation and make what you think is the best choice for you.

Maybe we need sticky on how to search.

Search Google by filling in the blank "Flytyingforum.com ………”

Putting in "best source of materials" ----> “Flytyingforum.com best source of materials” into Google results in:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Flytyingforum.com%C2%A0best+source+of+materials

post-27478-0-79473700-1459820035_thumb.png