Fly Tying
marcelotero19

Looking for some Irish pattern

How are you lads,

at the end of April I'm going to fish a lake here in Ireland, and I've been told which flies are the best for it.

Unfortunately, I've never heard of some of them, and am not able to find anything on the web.

Anyone who can help with this?

The patterns are:

- Carramore Zulu (Carrowmore lake)

- Jonah Lomu

- Jaffa

- Black Dabbler

also, a "long tailed" version of the Bibio, which I know. But no idea what they mean with long tail

any help will be highly appreciated!

Sorry ... I know this is wrong, but I just can't help myself.

Here's the only Irish pattern I know.

A lot of the 'long tailed' flies I've seen use golden pheasant crest for the tail. 2 or 3x the hook shank length. I've had a lot of joy with sea run browns on these but not so much with non running browns. I would definitely carry some goat toe flies.

A lot of the 'long tailed' flies I've seen use golden pheasant crest for the tail. 2 or 3x the hook shank length. I've had a lot of joy with sea run browns on these but not so much with non running browns. I would definitely carry some goat toe flies.

Thanks for the tips!

Looking again at your original question is it lough salmon you're hoping to tempt?

Definitely carry a couple of Irish shrimp types. Think mini intruders.

Hi Piker, yes it's a Spring salmon lough.

I'll have shrimp patterns and other traditional flies, I was just looking for info about those which I don't know to see if I can tie some of them.

In particular that Jonah Lomu fly, when google it I get only results on the rugby player, which is not bad as I'm a rugbyman too :)