Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jjs89yj

Taming EP Fibers

I wasn't sure if this should go in the beginnings section or here. Sorry in advance if I put it in the wrong place.

Last night was the first time i've ever tied with EP fiber. I bought 4 packs (at nine bucks a pack!) and very quickly noticed that managing the fibers after I opened the packs is incredibly difficult. The stuff is expensive, and I'd like to keep waste at a minimum while keeping the fibers somewhat neat and tidy.

Any tips on how to tame, use, and store EP fibers so I don't end up with a bunch of fibers going every which way?

I just pull the fibers out lengthwise from the end. Seems to work OK. Sorry, probably not what your looking for.

Bob

The best solution for me is to bind each bundle with a wire tie at the end, as most other long fiber products are usually packaged. Makes it much easier to deal with.

Yeah don't keep them in the bag, I slice the top off the bag and zip tie the bunch together. Few comb passes and good to go. Great material in my opinion, versatile.

Wonder if everyone is talking about the same fibers. Having used the Enrico's product for several years - mine came in an open sleeve so no need to slice anything. I think it is imperitive to handle them carefully and slide em back into the bag they came in for safe keeping which is easy enough to do. It is not always possible but sometimes preparing all the material for one fly works well. I have a strip of velcro stuck to my bench. These sections of material (see photo) are sized for the bottom half of a 2/0 peanut butter fly. A word of caution (that is rarely taken) is that most guys use about three times the material needed when starting out. Good luck..

post-54877-0-45132000-1459879604_thumb.jpg

One way to use them efficiently, is to slide the whole bundle out of the bag. Then I fold a piece of stiff paper just a tiny bit smaller than the bag and trim so this folded paper will just fit in the bag. Slip out the paper and place your bundle of over priced EP fibers within the folded slip of paper. Then put all back in, pinching the open end of the folded paper as you slid it into the bag.

Then to use, slip everything out, peal off just the fibers you need, and slip the rest back in the bag. The folded paper is just stiff enough to slip down into the bag, and take the fibers neatly along with it.

These are good tips. I prefer zip-ties to tame a new bundle. I find the method by utyer very good, but use it mainly for Steve Farrar's blends. Johnnyq is right on about the number of fibers to place on the fly...it's real easy to overdo it on bundle amounts. These fibers are expensive, but you can make a lot of flies from one pack. There also are some nice alternatives through Fly Tyer's Dungeon...they're called Congo fibers. Also fine mono thread overall works better than flat threads like UTC or Danville's...it doesn't slide as much. Good luck and cheers, Ed

Oh yeah, one more thing. After you've gotten the fibers you need from the bundle, put the bundle promptly back in the bag. If it's left lying around the fibers will catch on everything in sight and become a disorderly mess. Ed