Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WdyCoachmen

GLoomis Pro 4X or Recon 8 weight

hello everyone,

I am wanting to get an 8 weight rod and considering either a Recon, or the Pro 4x Loomis. Any experience with either or both is much appreciated! I cast the Recon a couple of days ago and LOVED it, but would like to put my hands on a Pro 4x before I decide. Application will primarily be smallmouth with light saltwater duties. (I have read the new 2016 8 weight rod shootout by Yelllowstone Anglers, with a bit of salt.)

Thanks,

Wdy

I think you will find the Recon to be the more fight worthy rod when you catch a heavy or hard charging fish and that is not to down play the Pro4X, it has it's own attributes but may handle differently.. The Pro4X is lighter tipped but still strong . You also need to get into the Salt Water version of the Pro4X to get to an 8 wt. By specification the Pro4X should give slightly more delicate presentation , at least so in the lighter trout series of the rod ( I don't think of delicate in an 8 wt anyway and I have never casted many G Loomis rods, though I liked the ones I have casted). They built them to have a lighter forward feel and balance back at the grip. That said , the Recon is a fairly well known performer and it's probably why you liked it so LOL ! Sometimes that first love in a rod makes it the one you actually want and look as you may, try all the varieties you may, you end up back at that one.

Well, I stopped off at a fly shop heading to my alumna mater this weekend and ended up walking out with an Echo Boost 3S (9'-8 weight). It's a little heavier then I guess I wanted, but it is a cannon.. The only thing holding me back using this rod to it's full potential is my casting. I think I can throw a size 2/0 kitchen sink fly on it.

Congratulations ! You should be well pleased with the Tim Rajeff designed Echo rod. I haven't tried any of the Echo 3 series, nor heard of the Boost but I know our Echo 2 series rods are well made and great casting. My wife loves her 9 wt. I doubt Tim moved backwards in design since then.

Thank you. It has a bunch of amenities I really like! Aligning dots on ferules & reel seat, square rod tube with sock, and canvas cover, plus backbone for days.

My technique will have to improve to maximize the casting of this rod so, I like the fact I feel I can grow into this rod.

I think the tube is actually PVC, not 100% sure. I was just glad it was not an Aluminum rod one that would roll around, or when hit make that clinking sound my Orvis tube from the 90's does. Something different.