Fly Tying
milkman

Easy foam popper bodies

Searching foam bodies here reminded me of a box of stuff I stored. Curiosity looking at the scraps from a little plumbing repair got me to trying this to get a round foam popper body with a scoop front. Lowe's will sell you a 6-foot stick of this pipe insulation for 97 cents, today's price, and that should be a two lifetime supply. Get the small size shown (1/2 ") for the tight curve. The punch I used is .357 caliber and requires no sharpening. After punching the first one I realized removing the primer would make it a lot easier to extract the popper body. Line up a little off center as shown and you get the offset scoop. You can see from my sophisticated high tech die that I only punched three, enough to convince me that this is a piece of cake, maximum effect for minimum effort and virtually zero cost. I would probably try to also locate a .45 caliber punch someday.

I bought more poppers on dozen cards than I'll use in a long, long time, one of those super deals where you know if you ever buy another popper you're making a big mistake today. So I haven't tried tying any of these. But I'm guessing the body is ready, no more work needed, just tie legs on near the back to pull the body down to a taper.

post-58843-0-89890000-1460054410_thumb.jpgpost-58843-0-64465500-1460054411_thumb.jpgpost-58843-0-40069700-1460054412_thumb.jpg

Milkman ... Walmart has flip-flops for 99 cents in a multitude of colors.

Using the same punch method, you can make more [substantial] popper bodies.

I'm not fond of the insulation foam because of the color. I have a bunch of those punches, 9mm,.357/.38 Special, .44-40, .45 Colt/.410, 20 and 12 GA, along with a set of punches I picked up somewhere. Also have a set of heart shaped punches I picked up at the craft store. You can make an effective popper out of a circle or heart shape punch from a sheet of craft foam.

You guys have given me a ton of ideas I am anxious to try....thank you all, very much! I have all my needed materials (and more), just need to clean off a working area on my shop bench. It will be a hot "sunny beach" working out there in the summer, I may have to work nights! Will send some pics when production starts.

Fatman - thanks. I recently geared up with a brand X Dremel for no reason other than I always wanted one. Now I see a use for it.

I've thought a lot about a strip of foam along the top of the shank instead of building up a body with dubbing or chenille. Why not help the flotation this way instead of using body materials that soak up water and then depend on surface tension. (Still, voice of no experience). It's easy to think this way in warmwater country where matching the hatch is not particularly an issue.

LMAO!! We concentrate on perfection when we tie... trying to make sure every fiber lays just right and every hackle matches the hook size and ya know what??? The fish aren't nearly as picky as we are! Great post Johnny!

LMAO!! We concentrate on perfection when we tie... trying to make sure every fiber lays just right and every hackle matches the hook size and ya know what??? The fish aren't nearly as picky as we are! Great post Johnny!

More correctly, poopdeck and the fish aren't nearly as picky

here is proof that foam from flip flops works. Or you can just use the whole thing.

Best video EVER!

@Triplef.............is that a thumb or a big toe with the fly buried in it? I'm hook shy as anybody and that just gave me chills when I saw that picture. I hope you had the barb flattened! How did you get it out?