Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ccahoon2

Dying

I have a bunch of light coloured and white fur and feathers does anybody have some good dye recipes that they are willing to share.

There have been several threads in the past few months on DYEING. Some use Rit Dye, some use koolaid mix, easter egg dyes, food coloring (I use that). Just follow the label instructions. I think I recall reading that mixing colors with Koolaid doesn't mix true per the color wheel but can't confirm that.

I've used koolaid and find it's good. Agree mixing doesn't colours are hit and miss but if you want the red or yellow or green then they work great.

Also turmeric dyes a lovely olive shade. Tea works but needs a long slow simmer and then leave to soak in the colour over 12hrs.

I have used Rit and Kool-Aid. Both worked well. The Kool-Aid was easier and less messy. The Rit I feel gave me a deeper color.

The only reason I attempted dying was because I had trouble getting what I needed/wanted. But everyone had cream or white.

Flytire.... you have way too much time on your hands!

RS.... Rit is also expensive, unless you're dyeing a large quantity.