Fly Tying
CGull

Nymphs

I would agree that in moving water, most often, you want a dead drift.

On still water you may want some type of retrieve. Match your retrieve to the natural movement. For Chironomids under an indicator, either just let it sit with maybe a twitch once in awhile, or a very slow retrieve. For swimming mayfly nymphs, I'd use a slow hand twist retrieve. Damsels wiggle a lot when they swim but make fairly slow forward progress. Damsel imitations with marabou enhance the action. Dragonfly nymphs crawl but can move in quick short bursts when disturbed. Leeches swim with a steady undulating motion. For leeches, front weighted flies with marabou help.

This is wicked good information. Frettfully, i cant carry you in my pocket. Where can i gather such information.

Thank you so much for your comments

If you are fishing lakes, stillwater experts such as Brian Chan, Phil Rowley and Denny Rickards advocate the use of loop knots to tie the fly to the tippet. If you Google "non slip loop knot" or "rapala knot", you will find several videos on how to tie them. The loop allows more freedom of movement of the fly instead of a rigid connection to the tippet.