Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JayWirth

Tagging Swap Flies

What is the preferred way to 'tag' flies for a swap? I suspect many people fish with flies they get but I like to collect flies from other tyers. Of course flies that cone with a tag that includes name, date etc... makes it easier to identify years from now as I go through a collection. Recommendations???

there really is no "preferred" tagging method

a slip of paper with your name and fly name will suffice (i use microsoft word)

stab the hook through the paper

tyers preference as they say

K.I.S.S. principle

toetag_zps06qmmvko.jpg

I do what flytire does. After trimming, I fold a piece of tape over each one. This gives them a little more durability for the trip and for people who want to keep them, as you state.

I don't do swaps anymore, but that's the way I did the few I got into.

1/4" lable make works well. Stick a pin I the lable then put it on the hook. I add fly name size and tyer

I have a template set up in Excel. For the swaps I've participated on here. It's just been my handle, "Philly" and the name of the fly. Other swaps I've participated in have required more info. Hook type and size and materials used. I don't remember any that required tying instructions.

I print the tags with my computer, cut them out, poke a hole through them, then run 8lb test through the eye of the hook and the hole in the tag and then melt the ends and fuse them together to make a loop. The tag never comes loose unless I cut the line.