Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
big_aljy

small hooks big eyes

Hi Guys,

Looking for any tips on size 6, 8 or 10 hooks that have large eyes. I want to use a 20lb flurocarbon tippet (0.4mm dia) as there are lots of mangrove and barnacles where i fish and I keep getting cut off on lower breaking strain line.

I like to have smaller hooks as I catch a lot more fish this way, I dont care too much for trophy fish every cast, i just love having that tingle through the line!!

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site, big-aljy.

I don't know of any hooks THAT small with larger eyes ... but if you look up "trailer" or "stinger" hooks, you'll find several sizes like you want. Trailer or stinger hooks for (bass fishing) spinner baits are designed to go ON the existing hook, so the eye is HUGE.

Good luck with the sizes you want.

Check out the Gamakatsu saltwater hooks. I don't know what style hook you want, but Gamakatsu has a number of saltwater hooks in the sizes you are looking for and the eyes on the Gammi's tend to run on the large size.

You're going to have a difficult time finding such a saltwater hook in those sizes. Eagle Claw used to make the 254 hooks, which has a large eye in smaller sizes, but I think size 4 was the smallest. They've discontinued some of those sizes, and 1/0 is the smallest size now I believe.

Orvis had a line of "Big Eye" hooks but not sure about saltwater.

You may have to go to a non-fly style hook. Perhaps a Live Bait type or something like the Gamakatsu Carp hooks. They're going to rust anyway unless you can find a tinned or stainless hook, but doubtful in those sizes.

i think gamsakstu or owner will have something not sure about the size 10 but 6 for sure might take a little looking around at bass pro or something in person to find what you want.

The Eagle Claw 254 is the style I'd look for -but as noted above it may not go down to the sizes you're looking for. They come in the 254ss (stainless) and the 254N (nickle). I used to use them for light wire hooks on flies but found them to be a bit too light for my purposes.... They certainly come with a large enough eye....

Mike, those are the Orvis hooks I had recalled seeing. Doesn't look like they have the sizes that big_aljy is looking for unfortunately.

Capt Bob, just an FYI, although you may know this already, the 254 is also available in a tinned version. I tie on them quite a bit. The 354 is also available in both stainless & tinned & has a large eye. It's a bit stouter than the 254, but again not likely in sizes that small.

The EC 253 is another decent light wire hook that's nickel plated, the nickel just don't hold up well in saltwater. I've known several folks who used them for Striper fishing in the brackish waters of the Chesapeake Bay. Actually, it's "the" hook for Flatwing style streamers. However, the eye is not large.

big_aljy, check with Harlee Rod in NJ. They have a bunch of older style Mustad hooks listed on their Ebay site (harleerod). Many are discontinued, so if you find something suitable, you may want to stock up. Won't be a "premium" type hook and will likely need sharpening, but at least it's possible for what you're looking to do with them, plus the prices are very reasonable.

Partridge stainless steel CS52 in size 6 or 8 is what you want. They are very strong, have a sharp point, and the tip of the point actually curves up slightly. I have caught rooting bones on the outside of their mouths because they bumped the fly, yet they did not eat it. The size 8 model has an eye that is large enough to pass 30# Hard Mason through it, so it will accomodate all your needs. If you can't find any, I will sell you (50) #8's to get you started.

The gamakatsu SL11-3H will go down to a #8 and the same with the SL45 hooks.

Also, the L11S-3H (A black nickel version of the SL11-3H) goes down to a #10

Good luck. Lots of cool looking hooks above that I would like to try out.

I just recently got some owner hooks in the flyliner model that have huge eyes, and the size 2 is tiny for a size 2. i believe the strength was gorilla lite. model number is 5106-091. def large enough to get 20lb floro through.