Fly Tying
CGull

632 bucks

CGull, there are trout in the Guadalupe River below Canyon Dam. There is one Trout Unlimited chapter in the state. If you are interested, to to www.tu.org for information.

Sage VXP on closeout < $300. Allen Kracken reel $209 plus 10% off when you join email list. Money left over will cover line and backing and still leave enough for dinner.

Don't buy that reel but something for less dough and have even more left. What's a guy need a $200 reel for to go trout fishing ( just curious)?

Sage VXP on closeout < $300. Allen Kracken reel $209 plus 10% off when you join email list. Money left over will cover line and backing and still leave enough for dinner.

Don't buy that reel but something for less dough and have even more left. What's a guy need a $200 reel for to go trout fishing ( just curious)?

Because it's a heck of a reel for $189.

Because it's a heck of a reel for $189.

Oh

You might look hard at Redington rods. I have both Sage and Loomis 4wts, but the 4 that ends up in my hand most trips is a little Redington Wayfarer that I bought for about $160. It is a delight. If you like a slower action, the Redington Classic Trout rods are fun, reminiscent of older full-flex actions. Redington was bought by Sage and the posts on the Washington Flyfishing forum indicate superb customer service.

If your tastes run more to rocket launchers, Loomis rods will fill the order but they are ridiculously expensive.

I agree with the above poster that you don't need an expensive reel for trout. You might look at Echo reels, or Orvis Battenkills. If you buy a moderately priced reel you will have money for a spare spool and line. Personally, I would avoid the Cabelas Prestige series. I have had very bad luck with the drags sticking at start-up resulting in snapped tippets on the strike.

Steeldrifter's site. Excellent custom rods and for the money you're planning to spend, he might be able to set you up with a balanced rod/reel/line that you'll never beat in a box store.

http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/

It was easier to cut and paste Mikes .....sorry Mike

Depending on the size of the trout, you could get by with a Pflueger Medalist for about $30 bucks. I have had one for about 53 years. I have other reels with drags and never use the drag to fight a fish. I use the "two finger" drag that I have had for almost 69 years.

LOL Retro. I was reading your post, thinking ... "That looks the same as what I ..." then I read the last line.

Given that you have been saving up for a while you deserve what you will be happy with. The discontinued Lamson Guru 1.5 or 2.0 on SierraTradingPost can be had for as little as 112 with the coupon login. This is a well regarded large arbor trout reel and just one of dozens of good reel choices so get what appeals to you. Remember to budget for an extra spool and line so you can cover more fishing situations.

On many forums the standard advice would be to never buy a rod that you haven't cast. Since I've never cast a rod before buying I can't pass that on. It makes perfect sense though but it does add to the dilemma of buying a custom rod sight unseen. One option I will throw out there; If you go shopping and they have a 9' 4wt (4 piece) Temple Forks (TFO) BVK then test cast it. Now if you like the feel of the BVK you can see if Steve from MidWest... will custon build you a rod on the same blank with your choice of grip, seat, thread colors, and choice of guides. I have a feeling he will.

The other standard advice I usually see is to budget some money for a casting lesson. Group lessons are usually not very expensive and some shops, clubs, TU chapters, fishing buddies may even provide free lessons. You may not need to cast 70' on a stream. You may even scare away all the trout that are just 30' away but there will come a time when your casting skill pays off.

good luck

Johnny... Question: I can see that if one uses his/her reel to reel in a fish, then a large arbor would help. It would also provide room for longer backing, if you're catching big strong fighters. I do neither of these... I hand retrieve, and I've never caught a bluegill that ran all my backing off my reel. So, is there any other reason I haven't thought of for having a large arbor?

Skeet3t ya I know about the Guadalupe and Black, and you probably also know how far that is from Northeast Texas, lol.....yikes. I'll get down there soon enough

Thanks for the link.

I don't favor a large arbor over the standard arbor. I'm lucky enough to have played several trout and many more stripers and blues off the reel. With the LA you get the line back on the reel quicker. This may be more of an advantage in the salt. For bluegills you just need something to store the line while traveling to and from fishing. I suppose you could put it in your pocket snd do without a reel all together. Stan Bogdan use to say that anyone that bought one of his trout reels was stupid. I wish I hadn't asked him if that was true because i would have ordered one at the time for about 400. They sell for crazy money today.

For those who suggested the Battenkill reel, you do know that it has been redesigned ? I have the Battenkill disk series personally and had settled in on that then they discontinued it. Now they have come out with it's replacement which is a solid click drag. Just sayin. Course they upped the price too !

I think I'll be moving to Okuma reels, we have had super good luck with them on our trolling rigs with lead core line on the boat. I also have a spinning reel from them that I really like too.