Fly Tying

Hi all!

I have been thinking of my next project for 3D printing & CAD. My last, Education Brake Caliper (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1362673). Back on topic! I am thinking about taking on a Fly Tying Vise as my next project. I do have a vise with me which has a lever type jaw. I haven't had a chance to be hands on with a collet style vises as of yet.

Id like to keep as much of the vise 3D printed as I can. I feel confident id be able to do about all of it aside from some bearings and some screws etc. I will/may look to more developed 3d printing methods for items such as the jaws.

Id love to hear folks' feedback on superior jaw types. In order to keep costs down I need to minimize 3d printed metal parts. I can see a short pare of lever style jaws, collet style seems to just a pretty substantial length of metal.

I like 3D printing and enjoy the challenges of intricate models vs. trinket printing. Anyways, any feedback ya'll might have would be great, area's of concern, places to focus on etc.

Thanks all!

Chris,

C. that was very informative, but for me, I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about an L-shaped extension. Do you have a pic or link to one?

C. that was very informative, but for me, I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about an L-shaped extension. Do you have a pic or link to one?

many variations, but something like this:

ip006110.jpg

Thanx guys. That looks like something one could make fairly easily. If the vertical shaft of one's vise is too long (sits too high above table), I gather you'd have to use the L-thingy and hang the vise off the front of the table to make it lower.

3D printed stainless is not hard, but VERY tough. Jaws can be lined or made from hardened tool steel. The one below holds small hooks well, but needs more clamping force for larger hooks.

DSCN0599_zpswx8dbzxq.jpg

This modification to a Peak vise was a big improvement to its ergonomics. My prototype was made from ABS, but I thought it was too flexible. This one is rock solid.

IMG_0630_zpswr1zuanw.jpg

I've got one of those L-shaped extensions. They're (or mine is) heavy and stresses the clamp and add a little wobble to the vise setup. I don't remember if I tried it with a pedestal, not even sure it will work with a pedestal. Mine is kept in a drawer.

3D printed stainless is not hard, but VERY tough. Jaws can be lined or made from hardened tool steel. The one below holds small hooks well, but needs more clamping force for larger hooks.

DSCN0599_zpswx8dbzxq.jpg

This modification to a Peak vise was a big improvement to its ergonomics. My prototype was made from ABS, but I thought it was too flexible. This one is rock solid.

IMG_0630_zpswr1zuanw.jpg

Thanks for sharing heavynets. The antler vise, very creative by the way! Is that a stainless jaw set? If so, are you just using the thumb screw to set tension on the hooks?

Also, your 2nd vise, the peak vise, with the upgrade looks great. Would you care to speak on the price of the arm you made? It looks solid so I am assuming its fairly substantial. Great looking though. I would also assume you used the peak jaws with your new arm.

And lastly. I am not sure I follow your comment on 3D Stainless where you say it is not hard but its very tough. Do you mean the alloy its self is pretty soft, possible due to the bronze in it, but its tough in that it doesn't flex etc? Thank you.

I am sure I can make the entire body of the vise for a relatively low cost, Ill probably use a couple bearings and a couple bolts/screws, its just if I want to do 3d printed jaws ill need to think of something different.

The antler vise jaws are one piece of 3D printed stainless. The screw knob provides the clamping force.

The Peak arm is hollow and holds the original Peak clamping assembly. The arm is quite rigid. I'm confident that I could remove about half of the material and it would still be more than adequate. Shape is just as important as the material strength and quantity of material. Note the stiffening rib which is not hollow.

Hardness is the measure of a materials ability to be penetrated. By saying that the stainless was NOT hard, I mean that it CAN be cut with a drill or a file. However, it is real close to NOT being able to be cut with a drill or file. I would guess it is in the low 50's RHc. There were some tiny spots far above this, maybe in the low 60's RHc. BY saying that it is tough, I mean that it appears very strong ( tensile strength ) and yet not brittle. I assume the material has about the same flex ( Young's modulus ) as any stainless. I believe it's mostly the shape that makes it rigid. Hardness or softness of a given material has little to do with the flex, but more to do with the range of flex before reaching the yield and breaking point.

I'm mulling over making another vise with a totally different jaw design. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.

The antler vise jaws are one piece of 3D printed stainless. The screw knob provides the clamping force.

The Peak arm is hollow and holds the original Peak clamping assembly. The arm is quite rigid. I'm confident that I could remove about half of the material and it would still be more than adequate. Shape is just as important as the material strength and quantity of material. Note the stiffening rib which is not hollow.

Hardness is the measure of a materials ability to be penitrated. By saying that the stainless was NOT hard, I mean that it CAN be cut with a drill or a file. However, it is real close to NOT being able to be cut with a drill or file. I would guess it is in the low 50"s RHc. There were some tiny spots far above this, maybe in the low 60's RHc. BY saying that it is tough, I mean that it appears very strong ( tensile strength ) and yet not brittle. I assume the material has about the same flex ( Young's modulus ) as any stainless. I believe it's mostly the shape that makes it rigid. Hardness or softness of a given material has little to do with the flex, but more to do with the range of flex before reaching the yield and breaking point.

I'm mulling over making another vise with a totally different jaw design. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.

Ahh thanks heavynets. You did a great job on it! Are you aware of anyone supplying jaw sets at all? Thought about 3d printing everything and finding a supply of jaws as well. I wish I could get my hands on a collet style so I can understand it better.

2_zpsvbl6zhpu.jpg

An early rendering of a Danvise I did for practice and to understand better.

Love those Jaws Chris....Where can I get those ?

Whoops it's a rendered pic ....oh well still love the stainless jaws .

I would love the whole danvise to be made of stainless ...especially with the arm extension

No worries Nick smile.png I didnt put the proper material on the render smile.png

The Danvise seems to do a pretty good job being nearly entirely build of Delrin. The only parts not delrin are 2 bearings, a couple washers, the 2 jaw sides, thumb screws and a couple embedded nuts within the peices to set resistance on the rotary area.

Sorry I should have gotten back to you sooner. You can see how I set up my vice in this photo I did to illustrate an article a few months ago.

Dark%20Tying%20A4Small_zpsaokm3y0w.jpg

If I set up my vice as most people consider "normal" I wouldn't be able to tie at all.

Cheers,

C.