Fly Tying
Losthwy

Glueing plastic eyes what's the glue

What's the best type of glue to glue on plastic eyes. It may be a "mylar" type material, dunno. I want to glue to painted wood. I do super glue, head cement and UV resin on hand. Needs to be very strong.

"Superglue" "Fixall" ... $1.00 a tube at Dollar Tree. Slower drying time than regular superglue gel ... and once it's set, those eyes are on for good.

All I've been using for some years now is Fletch-Tite (a clear adhesive that comes in a silver tube meant for arrow crafters....). It has a long, thin applicator that allows you to place a perfect dot of glue that's easily measured so that you only get just what's needed. I do have a trick that needs to followed for the strongest bond -I only glue one side at a time, then clamp the eye in place with a mini-clamp or a clothes pin for about five minutes before doing the other side. Here's a pic or two of the results....

post-30940-0-54320200-1461151630_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-91550100-1461151662_thumb.jpg

I have used several methods that all work pretty well. Goop works well and is very strong. I also will sometimes use super glue, and then put a small coat of UV resin over the eyes and head to really seal them in. I can't remember ever losing an eye this way

Another decent product that is available just down the street at Walmart is Beacon527. You will find it on the shelf with the jewlery crafts. I've used goop, shoe-goo, zap-a-goo and some others. I believe this product it is xylene/toluene free. Use those products outside and not in the house or near children, pets or pregnant women. Look at some of the reviews on Amazon for the Beacon 527 product. This stuff dries clear and like the Fletch-tite product it has a small nozzle so you can control just where it goes.

post-54877-0-96127700-1461155319_thumb.jpg

Most of the CA glues are fine,,, select those that are not too thin,,, more gel consistency works best.

Regards,

FK

This is the latest "technique" I've been using. I use loctite brush on, and they're staying attached. Just make sure you don't drop an eye after you applied the glue. It will stick to the floor....

I followed Capt. bobs advice and it was advice wel worth taking. Think about it anything that holds on fletchings and nocks must be tough.

I followed Capt. Lamay's advice too. Fletch-Tite dries clear...it won't cloud the eyes like Goop, superglues, and E6000. These other glues are good, but care must be taken to not get them on the surface of the eyes. Also, some glues may react with your paints on a wooden bait. If you're going to clear coat over the eyes, you can use a water based or weaker glue. Cheers, Ed