Fly Tying
Chia

Craft fur minnow

So, I am trying to tie a craft fur minnow that is blue on top and white on bottom. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but I cannot get the fur to lay back. Are there any good tutorials out there?

After the first tie in, I am tying with the length toward the eye for ton and bottom, then folding over to create height. But I have to tie back an insane amount to get the fur to lay back.

Have you tried something like a tooth brush or stiff fingernail brush and brush the fibers back ? Maybe you are tying in too much material at once. This is something you can do in layers.

This is the best tutorial I have found for a craft fur minnow and the fly is one of my favorites for the salt

You can also do a few stages.

Do layers like Dave G suggests. Then, when you're at least getting the fibers slightly back, try tying on one or two clumps like a normal streamer wing, laying on top of the under-layers, not tied in reversed. This will allow them to rest their weight on the layers beneath, helping them to lay back as well.

Some pictures may help. Craft fur should lay down. Do a search for clouser minnow or thunder creek minnow.

It might be worth noting just what material you actually are using.

Some craft furs have fairly short fibers and others longer. I own the original Fly Fur craft fur that was sold in fly shops and tying stores maybe 12-18 years ago now, in about 6 different colors. Each is on a carpet backing basically. With this there is a fair amount of under fibers, if natural fur you might say "under fur" . And more of it in some colors than others. But none of these fibers are real long. Today's packaged iteration looks to be more loose and longer, but not all.