Fly Tying
Losthwy

Debarb Pliers- Can anyone recommend a brand?

I have a pair of heavy duty, flat jawed hemostats, that I picked up somewhere several years ago. They work great for those places where I have to pinch the barb streamside (Yellowstone comes to mind.)

For use at the vise, I have a pair of flat jawed jewler's pliers that I got at Michael's for less than $10, something like these: http://www.michaels.com/bead-landing-bent-nose-pliers/10334523.html#prefn1=brand&pmpt=qualifying&prefv1=Bead+Landing&start=16

I use hemos streamside, too. One pair didn't work well, and I realized the jaws were too long. No matter how hard I squeezed the handles, the tips of the jaws didn't have enough power. I couldn't use the base of the jaws because they were too thick for the hook gap.

Shorter jawed hemos crush barbs much better and are more durable for clamping split shot. Hemos with long jaws don't have the crushing power. It's simple leverage. and flat jaws are a must. Take a look at Silver's photo, those hemo jaws are short.

I always crimp my barbs with my vice/vise ....before I start the tie/tye.lmao

I got a pair that I used for bending rod guides and flattening barbs. Can't remember where I got them, though!

Depending on your hook size small curved needle nose pliers like those used for making jewelry (think craft store) work well. I use just the tips to bend the barb down but they flex too much for heavy hooks . Stanley used to a small pair of pliers like the duck billed pliers that DrLogik gave a link to but they were smooth jawed. The Stanleys worked great for most hooks but didn't have the leverage for heavy hooks, wish I knew where mine got to. I always mash the barb before tying. Just for MIke - DeBarbed and barbless hooks RULE !

Funny, Brian. rolleyes.gif

I like to use a pair of hemostats to ... remove barbed hooks from the jaws of caught fish.

Thanks for the rescue FIN-ITE 34 - for some reason, I am unable to cut and paste hyperlinks into

a post here!!

http://www.basspro.com/Barb-Crusher/product/29764/

You need the full link to work.

Didn't work for me, it's like Orvis and many larger store chains, you hit the link for a product and you get their front page or a sale page etc. The Orvis tying videos do the same thing, hit the link expecting to see a video and get Orvis's front page and present sales. PITA !