Fly Tying
Jacktown

Can you use a 2 weight line on a 5/6 weight reel?

Can you use a 2 weight line on a 5/6 weight reel? Would it affect anything important? I have the 2 weight rod but not the correct reel.

Really just depends how it balances on the rod. As long as it fits the reel seat I don't see why not, I've upped reel sizes on rods that I wanted more rearward balance on. You may or may not want a little extra backing.

Quick answer, yes.

Explanation ... the reel is designed to hold a certain amount of line. A 5/6 reel will hold a full spool of 5/6 weight line. It is probably heavier than a reel actually made to hold a full spool of 2 weight line.

As Dave stated, if the rod/reel combo feels good in your hand, then you're good to go.

I use automatic reels on several of my rods. They're heavier than regular reels, so all those rods are a little butt heavy. But it's what I am used to, and I don't have any problem fishing them all day long.

I'd much prefer a butt heavy rod than a forward heavy rod for a long days fishing by far. Course balanced is nice too.

gotta regulate, tax, and register those evil automatic reels. I suppose they come with high capacity spools too...

If I used the reel to actually pull in a fish, I'd not argue with you, JS.

But when I am switching out rods every 5th through 10th cast, an automatic is a quick way to put one away.

Instead of tying a new fly each time, I've got 6 rods in the boat, each with a different presentation on it.

The worst thing that's happened to me ... setting the rod down in my lap and accidentally laying it on the trigger. All the line sucked into the spool and snapping a fly off on the tip guide.

If you can find a reel with one or more spare spools it is a great way of owning more than one rod but not needing to buy lots of reels. Its not often you'll find a trout to take you to the backing so a 5-6 reel will cover everything from 2-7 lines if you're careful with backing choices. I use low dia braid instead of specific fly line backing and you can pile a lot of 20lb braid on.

Mikechell, I be here for you after the purist Natzis get through with you....tried to get admin to put where posters are from to show up in posts. Seems like it was on years ago. Good to relate local to poster. We warm water guys from the south mostly from my childhood on used auto reels only. Brim/ bass no need for backing. Wasn't lotta salt water goin on so single action w/ backing no brainer.

768C8583-D195-4144-AB55-E5925C824DE7_zps

So pulled these down dusted them off; the lines are mildewd and cracked one is LEVEL....

F84AC269-036D-4CAA-82F6-42C7FD53AECB_zps

Sorry jackrown hijacked this. But point is whatever works for you go with it! My philosophy has always been if you can cast all or almost all your flyline comfortably with your setup you got a balanced deal whether it's a $100 or $1000 rig!

Joke sure but the Natzis are around my joke to them ! Problem with this "e" stuff you can't see the smile on our faces! This place is special so let's not ever take each other too serious. Maybe mods oughta not only put our place of origin on our posts but set up emojis too..SMILE. Maybe shouldn't try to have too much fun....

567D0CF2-BDDA-4F9D-82EC-F06201909C06_zps