Fly Tying
Chia

One fly only?

If you own cats and you have bird feeders in your yard: If the cats are active in the house and the birds feeding like mad, go fishing it's gonna be a great time. If the cats sleep all day and the birds hardly show up at the feeders don't bother going fishing unless you just want to be out in nature.. I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye though I can't offer the proof just yet..

If the cats are active in the house and the birds feeding like mad, go fishing it's gonna be a great time. If the cats sleep all day and the birds hardly show up at the feeders don't bother going fishing unless you just want to be out in nature.

Well ... we have three cats.

One of them is NEVER active. The most she'll do is swat at one of the other two.

One is NEVER lying around, it seems. Well, she does sleep, but when she's not sleeping, she running around like her tail's on fire. There's no in between those two extremes.

The third one would prefer to be lying around, but the "energizer cat" attacks him every chance she gets and he'll chase and fight with her if he can't avoid her.

I tried that whole, "Fish like the cat plays ... slow, hidden, fast ... what ever triggers your cat to play, will also make the bass hit.

Baaaaaaaaaalooooooooooooneeeeeeeeeey!!!

As for our 12 bird feeders ... there are always birds there. Always. And many a day I've not caught a thing (like last Sunday) and then come home to empty bird feeders I had to put seed in.

Sorry ... Ol' Wife's Tales don't give me any "warm-n-fuzzies" about my fishing futures.

I stopped feeding the birds a few years ago because screw it, they can fend for themselves... and I damn sure don't have A cat let alone catS.... BUT

If I see lots of birds and squirrels and wildlife moving around, usually the fish are active as well. I've seen it enough times to believe it's not unrelated. Even on big water, if ducks and gulls and geese and whatnot are flying about and carrying on, fishing is productive. The opposite also seems true. When terrestrial wildlife is inactive, fishing is often slow.

And, no matter where, I do not remember ever seeing orange crayfish. Tan, brown, olive, shades in between, even blue in the Allegheny and Susquehanna rivers, but not orange. It's a very productive color for bass, no doubt. I've caught lots and lots of smallmouths on orange flies and lures.

If the cats are active in the house and the birds feeding like mad, go fishing it's gonna be a great time. If the cats sleep all day and the birds hardly show up at the feeders don't bother going fishing unless you just want to be out in nature.

Well ... we have three cats.

One of them is NEVER active. The most she'll do is swat at one of the other two.

One is NEVER lying around, it seems. Well, she does sleep, but when she's not sleeping, she running around like her tail's on fire. There's no in between those two extremes.

The third one would prefer to be lying around, but the "energizer cat" attacks him every chance she gets and he'll chase and fight with her if he can't avoid her.

I tried that whole, "Fish like the cat plays ... slow, hidden, fast ... what ever triggers your cat to play, will also make the bass hit.

Baaaaaaaaaalooooooooooooneeeeeeeeeey!!!

As for our 12 bird feeders ... there are always birds there. Always. And many a day I've not caught a thing (like last Sunday) and then come home to empty bird feeders I had to put seed in.

Sorry ... Ol' Wife's Tales don't give me any "warm-n-fuzzies" about my fishing futures.

Mike, you are in Florida. Usual rules do not apply. It is so hot by now that both cats and birds can be found sleeping under the shade of the same tree... :)

You've got a point, there, Bimini.

I tried. I had airplanes drop copies of Field & Stream, B.A.S.S., and North American Fisherman magazines in the local waters ... the fish still just didn't get the ideas. Schools in Florida suck ... even fish schools.

Update, I have had some action as of late on other flies, but the chili pepper wooly is still tearing them up. I really think I could fish this fly forever!

I didn't expect anyone to believe the cat stories anyway. It was just something lite on a dismal New England day mostly. And actually someone else said it before me, like last year or so.

Ok then, we will move on to bass and weather fronts !!

Update, I have had some action as of late on other flies, but the chili pepper wooly is still tearing them up. I really think I could fish this fly forever!

That's good news ! Congrats.

I didn't expect anyone to believe the cat stories anyway. It was just something lite on a dismal New England day mostly. And actually someone else said it before me, like last year or so.

LOL I might have prescribed the "Play-with-the-cat-first" philosophy a few years back ... until I ended up with THESE three cats.

However, it might still apply, if I also factor in the age differences. Maybe I should trophy hunt when only my oldest cat feels like playing.

And again ... LOL ... fishing and weather fronts !!! I am sure you'd get LOTS of agreement on how that works !!!

LOL I might have prescribed the "Play-with-the-cat-first" philosophy a few years back ... until I ended up with THESE three cats.

However, it might still apply, if I also factor in the age differences. Maybe I should trophy hunt when only my oldest cat feels like playing.

And again ... LOL ... fishing and weather fronts !!! I am sure you'd get LOTS of agreement on how that works !!!

Mike, I might get agreement if I ever figure it out lol !!