Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies from the vise

HEY DEERHAIRDAN! Your video wasn't crappy. I watched it, I can tie the fly, instructions were fine, mission accomplished dude. Cool fly! You don't need a flashy intro and special effects to tie a fly, and your video proves it. NOTE: By saying this, I am in no way bashing other peoples videos with flashy intros and special effects. They're cool too. smile.png

Ha ha ... too much talking, flashy intros and special effects are ALL reasons to bash videos. I hate pulling up a tying video and having to listen to a 5 minute speech on why the presenter thinks this pattern is a good one ... blah blah blah.

I haven't been able to see yours, yet, Dan. Company network is preventing it. I'll watch it when I get back to the house this afternoon, though.

HEY DEERHAIRDAN! Your video wasn't crappy. I watched it, I can tie the fly, instructions were fine, mission accomplished dude. Cool fly! You don't need a flashy intro and special effects to tie a fly, and your video proves it. NOTE: By saying this, I am in no way bashing other peoples videos with flashy intros and special effects. They're cool too. smile.png

Ha ha ... too much talking, flashy intros and special effects are ALL reasons to bash videos. I hate pulling up a tying video and having to listen to a 5 minute speech on why the presenter thinks this pattern is a good one ... blah blah blah.

I haven't been able to see yours, yet, Dan. Company network is preventing it. I'll watch it when I get back to the house this afternoon, though.

I will second that !!! better yet the 10 minute speech why this is the only brand hook to use for this pattern !!

Steve-stabgnid

Rio%20Grande%20King%20Trude_zpsi08uq6v6.

Hook: Dry fly
Thread: Black
Tag: Flat gold tinsel
Tail: Golden pheasant Tippets
Body: Black dubbing
Wing: White calf tail
Hackle: Brown

Rio%20Grande%20King%20Trude%20Variant_zp

Body: Black chenille (variant)

Body: Black chenille

Norm - that's one of my favorite flies. I like to tie it, to fish it, and I think it looks great.

I rarely use calf tail anymore, but I make an exception for trudes. I use tons of synthetics on other patterns, but calf tail looks so much better on trude wings. I also think I can see it better on stream.

One difference from your tie, I use black dubbing for the body, and yours looks much prettier.

I also tie Royal Trudes, Coachman (peacock body) and yellow trudes. I used to tie a size 20 in black without the tail for small winter stoneflies, but I found that a small elk hair caddis worked better.

bruce

i did see the rio grande kings with the black dubbed bodies.

i guess i'll tie that one next smile.png

i fixed the one above to a "variant"

yes the chenille would suck up water but this fly can be pulled under and fished as a wet fly

CDC Green Drake Emerger

IMG_3526_zps3zdpvssh.jpg

IMG_3534_zpsvprwoxcz.jpg

IMG_3541_2_zpsnbhfgrtw.jpg

Rough cut based on a pic found on the interweb; pretty sure there'll be some changes to the materials/sequence but this will get a test drift or two.

hook - Dai Riki 280 #12

thread - Danville 6/0 olive

tail - partridge

abdomen - goose biot olive

thorax - dubbing olive

legs - partridge

underwing - CDC black

overwing - Congo Hair dark grey

Regards,

Scott

bruce

i did see the rio grande kings with the black dubbed bodies.

i guess i'll tie that one next smile.png

i fixed the one above to a "variant"

I'd be happy to fish either. Very nice flies!

CDC Green Drake Emerger
IMG_3526_zps3zdpvssh.jpg
IMG_3534_zpsvprwoxcz.jpg
IMG_3541_2_zpsnbhfgrtw.jpg
Rough cut based on a pic found on the interweb; pretty sure there'll be some changes to the materials/sequence but this will get a test drift or two.
hook - Dai Riki 280 #12
thread - Danville 6/0 olive
tail - partridge
abdomen - goose biot olive
thorax - dubbing olive
legs - partridge
underwing - CDC black
overwing - Congo Hair dark grey
Regards,
Scott

Scott, that Drake emerger is awesome looking !

I'm really starting to think you've got the hang of deer hair packing, Dan.

Great looking BAMD !!!

Deerhairdan,I don't remember ever seeing an articulate diver head like that. KEY WORD HERE IS REMEMBER. That's pretty sweet.

SBPatt, that CDC Green Drake Emerger looks great. I think its the partridge tail that sets it off for me.

Man those poor fish. Don't stand a chance any more with some of these ties.