Fly Tying
Dave G.

Catskills in Aug and flies ?

We will be passing right by the Catskills in mid Aug. And in fact staying out that way for a few days. I looked up some popular flies for the area and came up with size 22 midges and Griffiths gnats. BWO and Dun Variants. We probably will be there on the tail end of light Cahills if that isn't over. Does that sound like a start for at least some waters there ? And what exactly is this variant they speak of ? Also no sizes were mentioned other than for the midges. Out here further east a 16 is a good bet, how about there ?

I know Aug can't be the best month of the year for the area but will be there for a wedding and seems silly not to bring a rod and give it a shot. I probably wouldn't tie a bunch of flies in advance but would like to for the most part know I have the materials on hand for when I get there. I might tie up a few to get my hand on it though, won't be able to resist I'm sure !

Finally, I assume 4 and 5 wt rods are in order ?

Trico's # 24. Dun variants copy the Isonychias. Size 12. Dun tail , stripped red quill body, oversize dun hackle. Maybe some caddis also size 16-20. The bwo will be the start of the Baetis, size 22.

I suspect the freestone water temps will be well over 70 degrees by mid day. My quess is that you'll have to fish those waters really early in the morning, and hope that there's a good deal of rain just before you get there. Keep in mind the lower Beaverkill and the Willowemoc flow east to west, so they get hit with a lot of sunlight. I would consider fishing the Delaware, as it's a tailwater.

Randy

Thanks guys !

Yes, I read where there are a couple of tail waters and deep gate dam released flows that are cooler, I don't recall the rivers/streams off hand. I can also pray for a cool summer !

These Trico's ? Would this be what I consider typical? IE black ?

The Dunn, is this lighter Dun ? I watched a video on a parachute tie and they used barred ginger on the variant ? I have medium Dun and ginger, and badger, I do not have light Dun but can get a 100's pack. They also use a blended dubbing vs quills. I have brown, coachman brown, natural and ginger I can strip for quills. The dubbing sounded complicated or rare to purchase.

Edit: bookmarked, PT/DB

Dave G where in the Catskills will you be? Are you adventerous? Would you be open to night fishing? Best time to fish August is 10PM at night until 2 or 3 in morning. Have not been back to NY in almost six years, but I did wonderful and I was there first week of August.

PM me if interested.

Dave G where in the Catskills will you be? Are you adventerous? Would you be open to night fishing? Best time to fish August is 10PM at night until 2 or 3 in morning. Have not been back to NY in almost six years, but I did wonderful and I was there first week of August.

PM me if interested.

Well the wedding is on the SW side of the Catskills actually on the 16th. We will be out there on the 15th and headed home , as of right now, early on the 18th. Those dates are why I said that I thought we would be just beyond a light Cahill hatch. But then that's just by a chart I saw. We are currently piecing the plans together because while we knew of the wedding last summer, it's location got moved from NC to NY, due to a sick relative of the bride..

PM me if interested.

Well the wedding is on the SW side of the Catskills actually on the 16th. We will be out there on the 15th and headed home , as of right now, early on the 18th. Those dates are why I said that I thought we would be just beyond a light Cahill hatch. But then that's just by a chart I saw. We are currently piecing the plans together because while we knew of the wedding last summer, it's location got moved from NC to NY, due to a sick relative of the bride..
As said before the freestone streams will be too low and warm for fishing without harm and you would do well by getting on a tail water river.

The two branches of the Delaware are obvious choices but also checkout the Neversink "unique area".

A beautiful place that can be productive. Be advised that it is a good hike in so bring water with you.

You should google that area and read up on your best approach down the gorge as there are a few.

Thanks, I'll map these places out as the date gets closer. I had knee surgery last Dec and it's been a really slow healing process with a Bakers cyst involved, so I don't know about long hikes into gorges. I haven't hiked to my favorite pond spots on relatively flat shoreline just yet LOL. That cyst just keeps puffing up if I put pressure on it. I can wade and stuff though and it is another few months away. Hoping it will just go away eventually.

Oh it's not anything like going down the Grand Canyon by any stretch, this is the east coast after all. There are well traveled paths to follow but some a shorter and steeper and others are longer but more gradual.

Anyway I hope you heal up by then and enjoy NYS and the Catskills regardless.

What about caddis, we haven't touched on that topic ? What would be typical there ( color , size maybe a pattern, emerger) ?

Here are a couple of hatch charts for the local waters, might be of more help to you.

The second link is the one I like best, It's broken down in categories, Mayflies, Caddis and so on.

It then has clickable links for the fly and recipe along with other information.

https://www.detteflies.com/hatch_chart

http://www.catskillanglingcollection.org/hatchchart.html#caddis_August

Hmmm, those charts differ slightly from the one I had, in that they show the Cahills, especially the Light Cahill, right into Sept. BWO is listed twice, one from 16-22 and the other in 22 as someone mentioned here already.

The caddis are pretty much what I use in Maine , except I add the West Branch which has a pink fox body and tent wing, and a tiny black no hackle elk hair for Maine, that apparently won't be needed in NY. Interesting, otherwise the same.

I saved that second chart and may go back for the first one too. The second one does have the nice break down as you mentioned.

Also looks like a Black Nosed Dace might be a player ( I mention that of the streamers because I keep those tied for here at home) ?