Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Everglades Redfish Flies

Hey, does anyone know of a simple but effective fly for redfish primarily in the Flamingo or Everglades fly? Thx

Seaducers & Gurglers are good all around styles. You can tie them in any colors you like. I always try to have some light & dark colors.

I've been tying some rabbit strip flies for Redfish here in SC. I would expect they will work most anywhere. They're based on a fly by Capt Rick Grassett from FL, his "Deep Flats Bunny".

I'm using some different but similar materials, and tying them lighter. Orvis carries Capt. Grassett's pattern if you want to check them out. However, I'm not sure if they're intended to ride point up or down based on the pictures Orvis shows. I'm tying my variations to ride point up since they're intended for shallow water.

They're not a difficult fly, just have a couple of materials so a couple of steps. On a size 2 hook, they're just under 4" total length. I would use the same type flies for bass too.

Basic Recipe - any colors you like. Those I'm using seem to be popular.

Hook: O'Shaughnessy, whatever size you like, seems 2, 1 or 1/0 are most popular.

Thread: Whatever you like, but heavy enough. I'm using Danville Flat Nylon.

Eyes: Brass barbells or medium to X large bead chain.

Tail: rabbit strip, 1/8 to 1/4" wide.

Tail Flash: 3 to 4 wraps of Hackle Flash or similar material.

Body Wrap: Estaz or similar.

Weed Guard: 25 to 30 lb hard mono or fluorocarbon - I'm using 25 lb Hard Mason.

Black tail, purple body. Black/silver Hackle Flash.

100_6153_zpsdiewdrks.jpg

Purple tail, black body. Black/silver Hackle Flash.

100_5975_zpsampayoa7.jpg

Orange "Craw" tail, rootbeer body. Gold Hackle Flash.

100_5910_zpsiujxrjt7.jpg

Olive "grizzly" tail, olive body. Gold Hackle Flash.

100_5911_zpszugnz6c7.jpg

I always like these questions ... "What should I tie for (insert any new water)?" or ... "What should I tie for (insert any species of fish)?"

Reading the answers is like reading a list of all the different kinds of flies that exist (almost). For any given place or species, there never seems to be an answer that encompasses a majority of opinions.

What it boils down to, I think, is that ALL fish are basically predators ... basically the same level of "intelligence" ... basically the same instinct to eat anything that looks like food.

I think the main difference is more, "What size fly should I tie for (insert place or species)?"

If you tied something that looked like a nymph on a 2/0 hook, it would be perfect for Large Mouth Bass, Red Fish, Permit or anything else that eats crustaceans.

If you could tie a Seaducer on a size 18, I am sure even a finicky trout would probably hit it.

I agree 100% with mike. And the more aggressive the predator instinct the less it has to look like an actual food source. When we chum up sharks and bft (black fin tuna) all you need is a chunk of red or orange hackle tied on a hook.

I agree with Mike too. I've yet to find a fly or lure that fish won't bite eventually. However, the question has been asked by a teenaged young man who likely lacks the insight or direction us older folks may have already gained. The choices are vast, so IMO it's probably best to try & provide a starting point for him.

Here's a couple simple ones from the data base:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern6084.html

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern3362.html

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern529.html

I use something similar to tide's, but with Ferrar's flash blend for the tail.

If I'm blindcasting, Chartreuse over white, or chartreuse over yellow clouser.

I agree with Mike too. I've yet to find a fly or lure that fish won't bite eventually. However, the question has been asked by a teenaged young man who likely lacks the insight or direction us older folks may have already gained. The choices are vast, so IMO it's probably best to try & provide a starting point for him.

I did say I liked the question, every time it comes up.

I also like the "tournament results" in Bass Masters. They profile the top finishers and almost always, they fished different areas, different lures/presentations and all of them were "on a pattern".

I love seeing all the "definitive" answers to questions that don't have definitive answers!!!

Yes, by all means, provide a starting point for anglers to go from. But, Flatsroamer, keep in mind that if you are even close to what's mentioned, you'll probably do well. No need for exact patterns.