Fly Tying
ralphs007

Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying ?

Well now that my right shoulder is so trashed that I can't raise my rt. forearm more than about 15degrees above vertical I am being forced to COMPLETELY relearn tying. I think my semi reals are a distant memory and the stretches I made to learn classic salmon fly tying??? They are all a memory that I just can't let go of. I need to find a new way.

I am lucky that I have Nor-Vise (I don't care how much bs I got for getting it...time made it a necessity for me) and have been experimenting with tying from above the fly...just let my arm hang down to the vice. I set it so the gape of the hook is flat and horizontal to the plane of the desk. If need be I can swing in my magnifying light to see closer but my arm has to hurt to get around it (like a needle stuck in the joint of your shoulder). Needless to say I can only tie for a little while each day...About 4-5 15 minute sessions is my limit.

I have tried a couple of times to go left handed and just can't...you would think I would find a way since I was a drummer for a LONG time. But I just can't...maybe the chemo brain??? maybe just too wound-up??? IDK??? All I know is everything I tried to tie left handed got Bic'ed out of existence REAL fast.

What happened to your right arm and how long term is it ?

You won't find me knocking anyone with a Nor-Vise, wish I owned one ! But I would think that tool could come to be your best friend and enable you to do a lot of moves from a fixed arm position, maybe even using a sling. Also, as to arm movement, we tend to use more than we really have to because we can. Maybe get you wrist more flexible in this situation you are in ?

Well now that my right shoulder is so trashed that I can't raise my rt. forearm more than about 15degrees above vertical I am being forced to COMPLETELY relearn tying....

Very sorry to hear about your shoulder, sounds bad. I imagine you are re-learning many formerly simple tasks, so best luck!

Have you tried setting up your vise really low? like knee high? You could tie with your arms very low.

If you want more attention to this topic, I think it deserves its own thread. So maybe repost using "New Topic" button.

My Shoulder is trashed. I dislocated it several times when I was younger and now what is left of the ball can't even go in the joint. What I haven't found a work-around for yet is my casting...I just can't...And I can't even describe how weird it feels to try and fail...it is permanent. I have been wondering about the J-Vice that straps to your hand??? Can I modify something like that to help???

Last year I fell while having a seizure and my arm hasn't worked since...They said I tore one last tendon. Having my entire right side cut in half to resect part of my lung 5 years ago made matters impossible to work around through the pecs now.

I just finished tying the last fly in Charlie's excellent fly tying book.I don't know if this is the best fly tying book for beginners,but I really enjoyed the book! Now I'm gonna go back and tie each fly in several different sizes,to expand my fly box.If your a beginner,I really recommend this fly tying book.If you don't like it,I'll eat a bug.;0)

I love that book and cannot recommend it enough to beginners. Easy to follow and easy reading. Be sure to check out his website (Charlie Cravens Fly Box) for additional flies and step by step tutorials laid out just like in the book.

... tell me I'm doing it wrong.

That's probably just a reference to your Coast Guard history.

I've done a lot of things VERY wrong in my life, but that was not one of them!

I love that book and cannot recommend it enough to beginners. Easy to follow and easy reading. Be sure to check out his website (Charlie Cravens Fly Box) for additional flies and step by step tutorials laid out just like in the book.

I just picked up his book,"Tying Nymphs: Essential Flies and Techniques for the Top Patterns" It's laid out the same way as his basic fly tying book !