Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

First mayfly! Help!

Saw my first mayfly today! Was very excited! It was long, 3/4 to 1 inch! And cream colored or a light yellow. Had light wings too. Any ideas what species?! Southeastern Georgia, United States. Closes water is a slow creek a mile away. Small lake 4 miles away. And the Ogeechee River 10 miles off.

Fisherboy- How sure are you about the size? That's one big mayfly! It is too early to be seeing Hexagenia limbata (which might fit your description.)The American March Brown (Stenonema) might approach 3/4 inch, but I'm not sure its colouration matches. We need more information. And a photo would certainly help.

Oh, if you include the tail a lot of Mayflies can be in that size. Many of the Dun patterns (with tails) in size 14 and 12 for instance. Some BWO and as mentioned, March Brown.

Our Hexes are well over an inch long here, probably closer to two but that's a summer thing..

I was including the two filament tail in the length. I didn't get a chance to photograph it, but if I see another I will.

google 'sulphur mayfly', 'cahill mayfly' or 'hexagenia mayfly'. search the images

it could be one of them

If your sure about the tails, and the light wings without markings. then your options are limited to Baetis, Epeorus, Isonychia, Pseudocloen, Siphlonurus, and Ephoron in the east. Other two tailed duns like the Stenonema (now MacCaffertium,) Heptagenia, and Hexagenia have darker wings that show a lot of marking. Usually in determining genera, and species, the body length is used. If you measured both the tail and body then your body would be about half the total, or 3/8 to 1/2 inch.

Body size for Baetis is 4 to 9 mm and the early season hatches are larger than the later season hatches, which is at the short end of the possible size.

Pseudocloeon is unlikely as they are only 4 to 5 mm in the body. The larger ones are found only in the west.

Isonychia, are much darker than you describe.

There are still many possibilities, try and get a picture.

Trying to identify insects from partial descriptions is very difficult. I clear closeup digital image preferably with a ruler (metric,) will make the job much easier. Make careful notes of when where, and measure the body and note tail numbers, and the relative size of both pairs of wings. Some species will have only one visible pair of wings, other will have very tiny hind wings and others will have very pronounced hind wings. If you can't get a picture, make note of wing coloration and markings.

My best guess would be Stenonema (if it has only 2 tails,) and imitated by the Light Cahill. Sulfurs can be the right color, but they do have 3 tails.

You can also find a Georgia hatch chart here

post-12074-0-67110600-1462465249_thumb.jpg

I think heptagenia fits the bill Utyer. The wings were marked I guess I was just thinking about them being transparent not really light colored.

I've seen them that big down in Florida (Lake Tarpon and other places)... not real abundant but big.

A size 12 Mustad 94840 dry fly hook is pretty close to half an inch long, then if the fly requires a tail dimension of one hook shank length you got yourself a 1 inch fly. A 14 is a bit less. Just sayin.

Took these today of what I believe is a female march brown dun, but more yellow in color than other specimens I have collected from the same stream recently

Does it look anything like this?

Mayfly7.jpg

Mayfly2.jpg

Mayfly3.jpg

Mayfly1.jpg

A little lighter in the thorax, Dubs. Great pics though! It had what I presume was an egg sac too. A thing protruding from the abdomen under the tails.