Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

First mayfly! Help!

I don't know if it's the same but one thing I see from your photo is my March Brown tails could be a bit longer. Thanks for the awesome pictures !

thanks, they make me want to buy a dark barred ginger cape...

That would be a nice cape to have anyway and don't let me derail your plan ! But often what I do is use straight colored hackle ( one feather) and then add a grizzly. That gives a blend with barring and since my grizzly is the best cape I have it also fluffs up the flotation ( grizzly cock always seems to have stiff fibers). Like Brown and grizzly or ginger and grizzly, you would be surprised at the result and also the fish response. I'll even use a Wapsi Rooster Badger hackle with a grizzly, looks great. But you really have to go through the packages of Wapsi, they are little neck skins, the feathers quite decent actually but from pack to pack the coloration really varies. And of course the feathers aren't the longest on the planet, so one fly per feather. For $9.99 or some such thing it's the best bang for the buck going, and since I got the idea from Davie McPhail I figure Wapsi is a winner. Ya know everything doesn't have to be Whiting this and Metz that. I live on a retirement budget these days.