Fly Tying

Thanks for helping this list grow! -Let's get it to 50 locations!

While I'm not new to the sport of fly fishing...I haven't exactly experienced the "gem" locations that many of you seasoned veterans have experienced. Recently, I've been toying with the idea of creating my top 10 ten bucket-list fly fishing destinations. I realize this is not a novel concept for most of you, but for me, coming up with a dream destination list has proven too difficlut to whittle down to just 10 locations.

Then it dawned on me, why not learn from the Fly Tying Forum's community of experts that reside all over the planet. Who better to help me solidify my top 10 "must-fish" fly fishing destinations before I kick the bucket...in the next 50 years or so!

No destination is off limits. I'll consider fresh water or salt water,...lake, river or stream,...chartered vessel, pontoon, or from the bank! Any continent.

You needn't ask any clarifying questions as I am open minded to any and all dream destinations worthy of a bucket list. Sky's the limit on what I'll consider!

So have at it ya'll. Please share with me where and why. I'm hoping for advice on destinations that you've actually fished, not just read about or dreamed of.

I hope to post my finalized "bucket list" after I have received the sage location-narrowing advice from all of the Fly Fishing Forum community.

So let the dreaming begin! -Dorado

***Update as of May 25th: Thanks for the prolific suggestions thus far. Over the past 2 weeks, the Fly Tying Forum community has assembled the following 34 Bucket List FF destination locations up for consideration! I will continue to update the list as more offerings get posted to this forum. After the list is finalized, I’m thinking of doing a "FF Destinations Bucket List Poll" to help refine the list to the top 10 as voted on by the FTF community.

The following are simply alphabetized (and not assigned a ranking as of yet):

Abrams Creek, Great Smoky Mountains

Alaska/Canada (Salmon)

Atlantic (Mako Shark)

Beaverkill/NY

Bighorn/Montana

British Columbia (Steelhead)

British Isles (Salmonids)

Christmas Island

Costa Rica (Rooster Fish)

Costa Rica (Sailfish)

Cuba

Florida Keys

Florida mangroves (Tarpon)

Frying Pan, Colorado

Gaspe Peninsula, Quebec (Atlantic Salmon)

Germany (German browns)

Great Smoky Mountain National Park (Trout Grand Slam)

Green RIver/Utah (Trout)

Guatemala

Guyana

Iceland (Atlantic Salmon)

Kamchatka, Russia (Steelhead)

Labrador (Brook Trout)

Labrador (Brook Trout)

Mid West (Musky)

Mongolia (Taimen)

New England- (Yellow Fin Tuna)

New Zealand

Norther Manitoba, Canada, (Monster Pike and Lake Trout) = latest updated destination on May 25.

Ponoj River, Russia

Scandinavia (Pike)

Seychelles Archipeligo, Indian Ocean

South Florida (Peacock Bass)

South Florida (Sailfish)

***Some of the above suggestions lacked specificity… feel free to educate me on the target fish to go along with the destination!

I caught a roosterfish in Costa Rica, but i was trolling not fly fishing, still an EPIC fight though

I just recently started a list of the same thing, only my list is longer and all fish must be caught on fly rod.

Here's a few.

Rainbow and brown trout (im a Floridian) have this booked for north Georgia this fall.

Sailfish, south Florida or Costa Rica.

Yellow Fin Tuna, New England.

Salmon, Alaska, Canada.

Peacock Bass, South Florida.

Musky, Mid West

Marko Shark, Atlantic.

Rooster Fish, havnt decided.

This is the main ones. There are more for the same areas that are secondary on the list and some not here that ive already caught.

Joseph, as for sailfish come down to the keys in the winter, the sight of a sailfish taking your bait (or fly) is amazing. You will likely encounter a day with double digit bites, a day to remember. Pm me if you want to know more about peacock

Mongolia

Seychelles

Guyana

I really want to become better at fishing in the salt. I plan on spending a lot more time in the keys right away.

Guatemala

I would love to try Tarpon on a fly down in the Florida mangroves. Ever since I saw Jose Wejebe(RIP) do this on his tv show "The Spanish Fly" I've dreamed of doing just that.

I would love to try Tarpon on a fly down in the Florida mangroves. Ever since I saw Jose Wejebe(RIP) do this on his tv show "The Spanish Fly" I've dreamed of doing just that.

Bruce, if you ever get down to central FL between May and August get in touch with me and will go chase some tarpon!

Bruce, if you ever get down to central FL between May and August get in touch with me and will go chase some tarpon!
Being new to this forum I'm not allowed to give a thumbs up to your post so here's a typed thumbs up, thanks. 👍