Fly Tying
Joshpilon08

Hook organizer

Hello all,

Been searching around the net looking for ideas to start organizing all my different hooks. Any ideas, pictures maybe would help a ton. Thanks in advance,

At Micheals or some other arts and craft shop they sell small round clear plastic dishes with screw on caps. These dishes all fit into an tray so they stay together.

You can use a sharpie on a piece of tape to indicate what type of hook is inside.

i use 5 of these bead organizers for most of my hooks. walmart has them as well as the big box craft store

add a stick on label with hook model and youre good to go

oh and they are also good or storing beads

do a google search for "bead organizers" or walk through your local big box hobby/craft stores for additional ideas that will suit your situation the best

hook%201_zpscgqw00om.jpg

i also use 3 of these tiemco hook files but they are long gone and no longer made. they were designed to hold the hook boxes that tiemco hooks were packaged in

hook%202_zps6ncadbpx.jpg

hook%203_zpsvw22t0ku.jpg

I use a plastic storage tray with several compartments. I put the label from the hook package in the compartment. I arrange them according to dry, wet, nymph, etc. and in size from smallest to largest. I tried one with the removable partitions but the hooks slip under the partitions.

For my carp fishing tackle, I use empty medicine bottles with a label on each bottle for hooks, sinkers, swivels, beads, etc.

Dollar Tree has small pill "jars" and crafts "jars" that will hold anything smaller than a 2/0 hook. Most of them come 6 to a pack ($1.00 per pack). I'll try to remember to get some pictures when I get home tonight.

The one Flytire pictured are the ones I'm talking about, there's also a smaller one that is great for beads and eyes.

I use the organizers in flytire's first picture for all my beads. I like how they are in separate jars that can be removed.

i use a tic tac bead organizer like this one from the internet for all of my metal beads

smallembellishmentstorage1_1.jpg

It's not fancy looking but I found the absolute best way is to store them in the packs they come in in a box like you would your baseball cards. The hook boxes slide right in as well. I do have one tray compartment made for hooks with rounded bottoms for the mainstay hooks. If craft containers, pill bottles and such were better then hooks would be shipped that way. No sense in trying to build a better mouse trap for hook storage.

I use round boxes I get from Hobby Lobby. They have maybe 8 compartments for different sizes. One round thing for dries, one for nymphs, one for wets.

Also, at any drug store you can get the weekly pill boxes. They have 7 compartments and cost about $1.

somebody mentioned to me to use a magnet inside the storage container. i found a package of quarter size magnets at walmart. they fit nicely into several types of containers.

You can also cut one of those rectangular refrigerator magnets/business cards into about any shape or size. Plus, they're free and don't exert too much magnetism. About like the Timco magnets.

somebody mentioned to me to use a magnet inside the storage container. i found a package of quarter size magnets at walmart. they fit nicely into several types of containers.

I like that idea, think I'll grab a dozen from the department store next time I'm there.

I use inexpensive colored 8-compartment plastic boxes I get at Michael's and cut magnetic sheets for each compartment. I'll post a photo later. This works great and if I drop a box the hooks don't get scattered everywhere.