Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
picketpin

scanners

If I buy a scanner plus copier would i be able to post some of my flys dunno.gif and also how it is done????????/ its a b***h getting old dry.gif cant afford adig. camera bought an new rod and reel laugh.gif laugh.gif

tihgt lines Mike

Yeah you can scan flies but flies such as dries are hard to scan because of the hackle, it gets crushed. Streamers, wets and salmon flies are pretty good when scanned though.

It works great for me as for dries it will work if you use foam. Can't remember which forum member told me this but get a square piece of foam cut a hole in it just big enough for the fly and put the fly in. This way the material won't get crushed.

GEE thanks for the information SD& KC that i can use scanner copyer

then how do you send pictures to FTF as you can see i DONT know to much sad.gif about computers but i will try again thanks guys

TL> Mike

Once you scan the fly it will be in "my pictures" on your computer. Then you go to the FTF photo gallery and click "upload" then it will bring up your pictures folder on your computer and you will be able to choose a pic from your computer to upload to the FTF gallery.

SD

thanks againd SD you make it sound so easy will be buying scanner combo at the end of the month . again thanks a lot

TL> Mike

Picketpin what is the budget you are working on? There is a chance that you can pickup a digital camera for the same price somewhere on the WEB. Post your budget and someone might be able to find a deal for you. It is winter time and lots of people got nothing better to do (like me at the moment devil.gif ).

Picketpin,

Do you have a regular camera? You can take pictures with even a disposable one, get the photos developed, and scan the photos. The other problem is that when you have a photo saved to your computer it can save it as any of several different types of files. Now since you said you're not real computer savvy, I'll explain it best I can. If you have music you like, you know you can have that music on LP, cassette, CD, or whatever. It's sort-of the same for picture files. You'll see photos with names ending in .tif, or .gif, or.jpg, etc. The .jpg's are usually the smallest, and best to use for posting.

The problem is like an 8-track tape, and a cassette tape. They are both tapes, but not the same size. When you upload photos they often must be of a certain size to upload. Say if you wanted to post a photo with a report, right here. The photo can not be larger than 50K in size or it will not load. Some pictures I have loaded on my computer were 350K in size. Waaay too big to use for posting, here. So, you have to use photo editing software to shrink the size of the photo. It isn't difficult, but if you haven't done it it can be intimidating. I used to not know how to do this, but through diligent effort, and picking people's brains for answers I finally go it. If you need help with some of the finer points, just ask. Everyone here should be willing to help.