Fly Tying
Hatchet Jack

Adult Crane Fly Pattern?

Aka, "Daddy Long Legs".

I did a search here and came up short - anyone have a pattern recipe and/or finished

crane flies to post up? Got caught short last year around this time and I don't want to

end up there again. These flies are crazy, all legs and wings, something the Wright

Bros. would have laughed out of Kitty Hawk.

I google-imaged Crane Fly Fishing Fly and got lots of them. Not all are patterns... most just pix, or flies for sale.

I've fished the Big Lost River near Mackay, Idaho with the Mackay Special Fly. It was a very, very effective imitation of the adult crane fly tied with the Pott weave using horse mane hair.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=mackay+special+fly

https://books.google.com/books?id=knIemERB49kC&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=mackay+special+fly+pattern&source=bl&ots=a40F2fBcK7&sig=epNjq6eFQlT-iAuptzc3TTWS_SE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-q4fG9NnMAhXM44MKHRvdBqEQ6AEIRzAL#v=onepage&q=mackay%20special%20fly%20pattern&f=false

You can also try the more modern and easier Brun's Tipula in my post in the thread below:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/showthread.php?42682-Adult-Crane-Fly

35724585225_7160cf2fa4_z.jpg

Yep check Davies vids. Also check out his international hopper. Hoppers will cover most situations where cranes are out if you tie a range of sizes.

I've tied the foam bodied flies but found in larger sizes the fish don't bite initially but try to drown. Very visual but not helpful to hookups.

A.K. Best uses nothing but a size 18 or 20 dry fly hook, dry fly dubbing, and size 2 white hackle. Very simple and it works.

Here is an explanation of it from one of his books and also includes Roy Palm's version:

https://books.google.com/books?id=K_sqg0rHCXcC&pg=PA138&lpg=PA138&dq=ak+best+crane+fly&source=bl&ots=ncDaByk7Mv&sig=PPomodT5_aFHHbIbfy9h9eZgPnY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs8v7DktrMAhVG6GMKHfe9BtIQ6AEIKjAC#v=onepage&q=ak%20best%20crane%20fly&f=false

Joe

I never have understood why detached body flies are tied on long shank hooks. They end up with the fly being tied only on the front 1/3 rd of the hook, with bare steel hanging out the back. If you use a shorter hook you can use one of heavier gauge wire, and still have less steel trying to make the fly sink. That is better for playing fish than a light wire long shank. Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

C.

I never have understood why detached body flies are tied on long shank hooks.

Cheers,

C.

Main reason I can think of is, it's the hooks we have on hand. A lot of us don't have a small shop's worth of tying materials, hooks and what-not, stored in our houses.

I could be wrong.

post-37956-0-45586400-1464397459_thumb.jpgpost-37956-0-40589900-1464397503_thumb.jpg

I just tied these up and I think they will kind of give the profile of a Crane fly ...tied on a size #14 B175 Kamasan hook

Deer hair extended tail , Grizzly hackle size to suit fly , Wing is made from Guinea fowl feathers ( i think as the label has gone awol) lol

Retro

Whew! I had to see what kind of fish y'all were seeking where you would use a fly representing an adult crane. I have this rule, I don't hunt anything that hunts back, and I was imagining a fish big enough to swallow an adult crane. What a relief to find it's only my ignorance of something apparently called a crane fly.