Fly Tying
cnc

Idea for flash storage

A new idea in the process. A flash tree that can be made in any hight. With leafs that can be placed and moved according to flash length and personal freference.

post-15267-0-08217400-1463241568_thumb.jpg

It's been done, but what you're showing is nice. I have a couple of prototypes that I had purchased awhile back from a fellow doing the same thing. They're an aluminum carousel wheel with spokes on a stand, and can be adjusted up or down. The spokes can each handle several clumps of flash. I use a lot of flash, that's why I bought them.

I have one of the wooden stand type carousels too, which works just fine, but doesn't hold as many clumps of flash, or those that are real long. The metal ones have more height than the wood one, but even they won't handle the flash that comes in clumps longer than 12".

Keep working on & perfecting it. The idea is certainly sound, and like everything in this hobby, there's going to be folks who will want something different. smile.png

Wait! You don't just throw them all in a drawer where they get all tangled together? What kind of fly tyers are you guys?

laugh.png

Wait! You don't just throw them all in a drawer where they get all tangled together? What kind of fly tyers are you guys?

That's me and it's getting to be annoying. Congo hair is even worse than flash.

eaed7528b1930e9dd07f6b40d4c72ac6.jpg

in the bag, cut a corner and pull out only what you need

yup, that's what I have been doing for a while and it works for me. The flash tree thing does look cool though

I made one a few years back, but got tired of the space it took up on my desk. However, I don't tie with a lot of flash, so I can see it would be handy for someone who does.

For the regular krystal flash, I just take it out of the provided bag and put it back in when I'm done.

For the flashabou that's stapled to the card, I pull it up out of the plastic sleeve as needed.

Never really had any storage problems with it, but if I did, I'd definitely consider the clear hard plastic tubes w/ rubber caps like Kelly Galloup suggests in one of his Q&A videos.

eaed7528b1930e9dd07f6b40d4c72ac6.jpg

in the bag, cut a corner and pull out only what you need

That's how I've been doing it since I bought my first flashabou sometime in the 80s.... just use the original packaging.

Nice, but I have cats and it's amazing what a cat can do to a hank of flash in mere seconds.

There is a cure for that.

Nice, but I have cats and it's amazing what a cat can do to a hank of flash in mere seconds.

There is a cure for that.

Yep ... same cure I recommend for bratty children.