Fly Tying

Midge hatches can be some of the most productive dry fly fishing experiences. The midges sometimes will cluster together, and the trout will go for these clusters because its a larger meal. The Griffiths Gnat matches the midge cluster very well. Its an old pattern that has been around for a long time, but still produces very well. It floats high on the water, so its great for an indicator fly when fishing a double rig. Use it as an indicator for a smaller midge dry fly, or even a midge emerger.

Hook: Size 14-22 dry fly good (in this case an Umpqua U002 size 18)
Thread: Black 8/0 or 70 denier thread
Body: 2 peacock hurl strands
Hackle: Grizzly dry fly hackle

Music: Sunny, funnysong, ukulele - Bensound.com

Just curious, what is it that you prefer about the oversized hackle on the pattern?

In full honesty I don't have Hackle small enough. But in reality it's not much larger than it should be, pretty darn close.

Great video. I especially like the footage of it in the water and the midge cluster footage to really show how it works. Keep 'em coming

Great video. I especially like the footage of it in the water and the midge cluster footage to really show how it works. Keep 'em coming

Hey thank you very much... Actually made a special 50 minute round-trip drive out to the San Juan river just for that footage of the midge clusters...

A few years ago on opening day on the River Ribble the odd fish was rising but not to anything I could see. Then I spotted what fish were rising to, catkins falling off the waterside willows. Now if you are anything like me you don't carry a dry catkin imitation. I looked in my box and there was a size 12 Griffith's Gnat. It took a bit of fiddling around wetting it and applying floatant to part of it, but it did the job. That's one other thing the Griffith's Gnat can imitate.

Cheers,

C.

In full honesty I don't have Hackle small enough. But in reality it's not much larger than it should be, pretty darn close.

Oh, ok. I'm seeing a little over a half gap longer than I'm used to using and was wondering if there was some thought behind it.

Oh, ok. I'm seeing a little over a half gap longer than I'm used to using and was wondering if there was some thought behind it.

Well, I started tying this because I couldn't get any small enough from my local fly shop. So I used the smallest grizzly hackle I could find in my materials box. It wasn't quite small enough, but it works really well. I mean, the hackle is smaller than my fly shops hackle they use for their GG's. However they are also using a much larger hook. I will say, mine sits much higher on the water, so, maybe... Just maybe its a good thing to tie it with slightly larger hackle? I always have cause I have a wife that would kill me to spend $130 on a patch of feathers..... HAHA I get multiple takes every time I fish with this fly, so I cannot imagine I did it too off the original. In fact, I think the hackle back then was not as high quality we have now, at least thats what Im told. So maybe my $30 hackle is closer to the stuff Griffith used to create his fly? lol

Wish I had a trout stream 25 minutes from home. Closest is one hour. Griffith's gnat is an effective fly.

Where's the edit button gone to

Edited by Fotwin

Gremlins! Gremlins!

Am I mistaken, do you change thread wrap direction when tying your flies.

It looks to me as if you use a clockwise wrap of thread around the shank of the hook and then change it to an anti-clockwise wrap?

Or as I said am I mistaken?

Looking at the eye of the hook I use an anti-clockwise wrap which I think opens the thread and allows it to sit flat?

Most people seem to use a clockwise wrap, I

I.e. going away from them.

Well, I started tying this because I couldn't get any small enough from my local fly shop. So I used the smallest grizzly hackle I could find in my materials box. It wasn't quite small enough, but it works really well. I mean, the hackle is smaller than my fly shops hackle they use for their GG's. However they are also using a much larger hook. I will say, mine sits much higher on the water, so, maybe... Just maybe its a good thing to tie it with slightly larger hackle? I always have cause I have a wife that would kill me to spend $130 on a patch of feathers..... HAHA I get multiple takes every time I fish with this fly, so I cannot imagine I did it too off the original. In fact, I think the hackle back then was not as high quality we have now, at least thats what Im told. So maybe my $30 hackle is closer to the stuff Griffith used to create his fly? lol

I have a genetic and generic grizzly dry fly 1/2 neck and it has feathers suitable for size 22 or maybe 24 gnats easily and on the long end feathers suitable for poppers. I frequently tie #18 and #20 Grifftiths Gnats and have tied them up to size 14 for use in local ponds. But I think that neck skin cost me all of $20 from Bears Den. I have to be careful when I pick my feather because I could be grabbing one that has fibers too short for the hook gape. I bought that skin because it had such a wide range of sizes, even though it was a half skin. Not sure if they still sell this line or not, it was branded under their own name I believe.

On a second note, Wapsi might have something too, they package up these nice cock ( little) necks . Their a small skin and I think an over priced store might get $10 for them.

On a third note, I think you have the longest fibered peacock herl I have ever seen !

Anyway, 1-1/2 times the gape would be the standard for hackle on a GG. But more to the point it looks like you are stuck with this being the smallest size you could tie and the hackle is a tad long at that. Not that it matters a whole lot because if you are simulating midge clusters they vary in size. I tie size #18 or even #16 to simulate a #20 mid hatch cluster. Incidentally, that clustering is just that; a cluster, its part of the mating ritual, it's a midge orgy basically.

As to wives, that's an easy cure though expensive one. Just what ever you spend figure on her spending on herself as well, if not double. That's all it's about ya know, you are getting something you want and she is not. There is not a woman alive who was not born to shop.

Gremlins! Gremlins!

Am I mistaken, do you change thread wrap direction when tying your flies.

It looks to me as if you use a clockwise wrap of thread around the shank of the hook and then change it to an anti-clockwise wrap?

Or as I said am I mistaken?

Looking at the eye of the hook I use an anti-clockwise wrap which I think opens the thread and allows it to sit flat?

Most people seem to use a clockwise wrap, I

I.e. going away from them.

You're only going to wrap so far in reverse before you get a reverse wound rope.

The video shows hook sizes 16-26, but the voice-over says 14-22 are the common sizes. Would be less confusing if both agreed or the common sizes fell within the overall range.

I wish I could find some herl like that. Nice video!