Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bugsy

Who says you can't use blue heron in the US?

No wonder Mike can't catch anything, everybody knows that koala fur is too short and nappy for zonkers. It really shines when used as a substitute for woolhead sculpins. Pushes lots of water.

Get in touch with Walter Palmer, Fin ... see if you can get some Black Maned Lion mane hairs for some Catty Clousers.

This should extinguish any doubt we have about tying with heron.

Actually, my doubts WERE catching on fire ... thanks for the post to help "extinguish" the flames.

Funny , the local paper had a front page article this morning on a state (PA) wide sting involving animal parts including feathers. State agents hit a number of Native American pow wows this past year buying animal parts. You can legally sell legally taken animal parts only within 90 days of the close of the hunting season here for that animal. Native Americans can possess Bald Eagle feathers for religious reasons but can't legally sell them. Dream Catchers using feathers (other than say chicken feathers) are illegal. Looks like they got a number of people in this sting.

You can legally sell legally taken animal parts only within 90 days of the close of the hunting season here for that animal.

Who said that?

According to the game laws, no part of any harvested animal may be sold, ever, for any circumstance. A guy I know that processes deer got busted for selling deer meat from no-shows (people who dropped off a deer, had it butchered, but never returned to pick it up and pay).

I'd be interested to see how the details of the sting play out...if it's illegal to own or just sell, and how much ignorance plays into the proceedings (not so much ignorance of the laws, but if some urbanite buys a dream catcher made with illegal feathers, does the state expect them to be able to identify birds by their feather and cross-check it against a mental list of protected species?). For the sellers part, did they know they were dealing in illegal feathers? If there's a willfully criminal element in any part of that situation, by all means, throw the book at them...but it sounds to me very much like a situation where PA is going to make an example out of somebody while conveniently missing the true criminals in the process.

Lancaster News Paper "Pennsylvania game laws allow you to sell inedible parts of lawfully harvested wildlife within 90 days of the close of the hunting season." I have not done any research to see if this in fact correct, it's how the paper has it printed. They quoted one of the PA wildlife officers as saying dream catchers are " in general ... illegal " if they contain real feathers.