Fly Tying
vicrider

You're invited on a "One Fly" fishing contest

Oh! Is it over? I thought we were going to explain why we submitted the fly that we did. So who won? BTW, thanks, Vic for the Krystal Flash.

BB

BB, did you miss that post with the pics? You won it...or are you just rubbing it in? I thought that thread would be the one of acknowledgement of receipt and why we picked that fly.

No, I missed the thread. Where is it? I looked on the Swaps page, but I may have missed it. I'm just surprised that I won because I rarely win anything. My set of flies arrived yesterday. I'll try to write up something this afternoon. Mostly, I picked that fly because I knew how much you like soft hackles. I wasn't trying to catch fish so much as the fisherman! :-) Send me a link to the thread with the pictures.

Thanks

BB

Actually, my choice of a bead head soft hackle was dictated by the fact that Summer fishing in our area means hot weather and warm water. In those conditions, the fish are seeking the bottom of deep pools in search of cooler water. So my strategy was twofold. I wanted to fish the tail end of the riffles where the water flattens out into pools, hoping to pick up nice fish there. I was also thinking about shooting the fly under overhanging branches along the bank, especially if the bank was undercut where there would be shade and deeper water. So I was thinking first about deeper water and then I was thinking about the fact that a soft hackle is a good fly if you're not planning on trying to "match the hatch." And then my last strategy was to attract the eye of the Judge who likes a soft hackle. And my plan must have been a good one because I caught 5 heavy fish. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Vicrider, you ought to write fiction. Dorothy Sayers, a British theologian, wrote murder mysteries as her hobby. One of her stories is about the artist community in Scotland and some guys who were trout fishermen. I'll have to think of the title, but your fishing tournament made me think about her story. Thanks for a fun swap. And congratulations to all of my great competitors. You made it a fun ride, & the flies from this swap will definitely find a spot in my fly box. Great work, everyone.

Take care

BB

Got mine today. Full set of fish catchers!

Thanks for hosting

If it works this will take you to the scientific process used to produce the winners. No comments on the extras? Hoping it's something we can use.

http://wheeldecide.com/index.php?id=49546

It works. Check it out.

Vicrider I was traveling for work, but I truly appreciated the baitfish hair. It is cool. Thanks.

Edited - I posted after your post I see. Thanks again. Great surprise