Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JackOC

Help identifying feathers and equipment

Hello we recently acquired a literal truckload of fly tying feathers and equipment... This was donated by a gentleman who tied flies for well over forty years..... We would like help identifying it so that we can sell this stuff but would first like to know exactly what we have..... Is it okay to post those pictures here and ask for help? Actually tried to post some but it says file too big? It's just pics from my phone, any tips?

first post, eh? "Spend your time and resources telling me what I have so I can make a profit" is a little odd as a first post. Just my opinion.

Obviously you're not a fly tyer- perhaps offer someone with the knowledge you seek a deal on some of the tools and materials.

Hi JackOC. Depending on where you are located and the local fishing community, it may be easier to contact a local fly fishing club and have someone come out and look at the stuff for you. As a warning, "used" supplies usually don't get premium prices unless you have some very sought after items such as a collectors grade Jungle Cock cape for example. The reason for the low pricing is that it can be difficult to ascertain just how much is left, the quality of what is left, and the condition of what is left of a particular item. This is especially true "over the internet". Most tyers like to smell, touch, taste before buying. Not trying to rain on your parade, I just don't want you to be disappointed. That is not to say you should not do some research and get fair market value (I wouldn't sell a top of the line $600 tying vice for $.05 on the dollar). YMMV. Best of luck to you.

Agree with Swamp Fly, the local fly clubs are going to be your best source of expertise. Also might be a good way of finding a new home for the materials both in terms of sales and donation. You may find itemizing to be painfully tedious so after identifying any premium items, like Fly's example of jungle cock capes or a vise, you may want to consider just bundling like materials and selling each grab bag for a set price.

Thank you so much for your replies. I am getting the feeling this is a very loved sport/hobby. Honestly for us this was a donation that I purchased, I've been doing this for years but this is the first time I've run across fly tying stuff which is really cool stuff btw :-)

I mean it is a literal truck-bed-load... There are like 20 full capes (really cool looking colorful natural stuff), cases of thread, hooks, tools, bags of feathers with names and without.

If I were to pack everything in boxes for shipping let's say It would be like 4 20x20x20 boxes..It's allot of stuff

I might do what is suggested, contact someone at least on these capes (from what I'm seeing I think some may be big bucks) some are crazy cool color looking and look like never used. This gentleman kept everything meticulously little balls in everything (mouth balls maybe? Smells kinda like it) Everything is pristine..he has been tying flies for over 40 years he said and is just to old to do it anymore :(

first post, eh? "Spend your time and resources telling me what I have so I can make a profit" is a little odd as a first post. Just my opinion.

Obviously you're not a fly tyer- perhaps offer someone with the knowledge you seek a deal on some of the tools and materials.

Don't mean to use your resources. Just was looking to ask some knowledgeable people about some unusual stuff for us so we don't get ripped off by someone that's all. I hope we didn't offend you :-)

Btw, How the heck do you upload pics you guys? Keeps saying pics are too big, just cell phone pics? I'm gonna take a bunch tomorrow afternoon

I met a guy in Maine one time, his goal, activity and purpose in life was totally consumed by the acts of making money. He admired himself for his ability to get his way with people, to manipulate people on both sides of a deal to make things happen in his favor and gain profit from it all. He held great pride about himself over this fact. He made my skin crawl quite frankly. He was a modern day swindler.

Point ? We don't have a clue who you are. You say "we". Well who are "we" ? What we do know is you are not a fly tier and you are in a fly tying forum looking to make profit. I think we need to know more than that about Who You are, what the purpose of "we" is before we start actively helping someone who could be a modern day swindler. Note, I did not say you are, did not accuse you of such, we simply know nothing about you and there is a certain aura about all this. You must admit the potential is there for more to stink than just the moth balls your stuff is packed with. I would be pleased to be wrong about that incidentally !

Don't mean to use your resources. Just was looking to ask some knowledgeable people about some unusual stuff for us so we don't get ripped off by someone that's all. I hope we didn't offend you :-)

you will need to work a LOT harder than that to offend me. Dave G eloquently made the points I was thinking but didn't get out through my keyboard so early in the morning. Why all the mystery with "us" and "we" ? It leads one to believe it's a business, or at very least a money making endeavor. In that spirit, I'd be happy to be your paid consultant. If you're close to the Harrisburg Pa area I'll come inventory your things and provide a realistic worth. If not, e-mail me good pics. I'm sure we can do it in a way which doesn't result in me being ripped off. I'm not being facetious. Knowledge has a value.

I in no way have any issues with someone who wants to make money. That's what I do, I try to make as much money as I can. I have a house, kids and a retirement to fund. Alaska must be very populated with all you living off the grid guys bemoaning making a living.

On top of liking to make money I also like to save money. Post the stuff in the for sale section and maybe we can all profit from your buy. It's the American way.

He can't, yet, Poop. Gotta have at least 40 posts before you can post anything in that forum.

I don't understand the big deal, the guy was up front in his first post. He just asked to identify the stuff for his information. Either answer his question or don't respond.

JackOC- post the pictures and I will happy to identify whatever I can for you.