Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JackOC

Help identifying feathers and equipment

Hello JackOC

I am in long beach CA. I could possible help you or you could also reach out to the Long Beach Casting Club and see if any of them would be intrested. Let me know if there is anything I can help with. Might be possible for me to come down this weekend due to it being a long weekend and all.

Daniel

Hi there thanks for the offer but we're leaving tomorrow for the weekend.. but will be back Tuesday I'm in San Clemente... Just posted that link 2 Photobucket I took tons of photos seems it's mostly TONS UPON TONS of capes, fur, feathers, hooks, string, supplies I have no idea on this stuff man LOL many are marked many are not.....not too many tools but some... haven't gotten everything yet check it out let me know what you think ... I'm probably going to take the advice of another member here and drive it up to Newport to the fly fishing store see if they can give me some more insight I guess ..... thanks again

JackOC it would have helped to just be clear on the ENTIRE scenario in your first post. No ruffled feathers here. Hopefully whomever you choose to help you out will be able to get a deal on something if you, as you say, buy from the thrift store and re-sell...

Haha poor Jack, to think he went to a fly fishing forum and asked for help identifying fly fishing things. What was he thinking!

That's a lot of stuff. These look promising to maybe be cree capes. The one on the left looks more likely to be a cree or grizzly varaint. Its to hard to tell in the picture. Capes like the ones I circled are your best bet for better pricing. If it's cree you might be able to get some money for that. Also the Mustad hooks might be valuable there are some discontinued styles that people really like. A lot of this stuff should probably be sold as a grab bag to make sure you are getting good value pre sale. Things like the deer hair would be better sold that way. The full brid skins there value is pretty low when new so I would not expect a lot for those used. I did not see a jungle cock or anything else in that rare range that someone would pay big dollars for. The condintion of the materials did look very good that will help sell this stuff. Overall I think someone would have to see them in preson to verifi anything in the way of price or quality. I would call the fly shop first they can be quite busy and you are going to need a lot of someone's time to appraise this much stuff.

post-51397-0-19940900-1464355293_thumb.jpg

These two photo's from your photo bucket are polar bear, you'd best be careful trying to sell this

1464316992064-808436901_zpsdcpnlceb.jpg

14643169362481565961095_zpsqs9y3sty.jpg

Don't know the numbers on the box's for the Mustads but those are old style box's and some go for good $$$.

14643187399841328135965_zpsi4semd0d.jpg

These two photo's from your photo bucket are polar bear, you'd best be careful trying to sell this

Don't know the numbers on the box's for the Mustads but those are old style box's and some go for good $$$.

I wouldn't worry about the polar bear too much as it looks very old. It doesn't look to be in good shape either, since the hair has yellowed considerably with age. It's also not the prime length of 1 1/2 to 3 inches. There's nothing that jumps out as major money on any one or two items. It's a very nice bunch of stuff. Just break it up into smaller lots of similar items to sell to get the most out of it.

Regards,

Mark

Looks like you have some good stuff there, hard to say how much by photos. Now to sort that out and as you said be fair but not get taken on it either. But yeah, it's gonna be best identified in person (with someone in person) and then find an outlet, maybe hook up with someone who can ebay it if you don't have a live account.

Lots of good stuff there, but you'll never unload it in one place. Too much money involved and too much material. You could sell if piecemeal over several years, but then you have to protect it from moths and critters and the money will probably dribble in.

If I were trying to sell that much stuff, I don't know how I'd go about it. I've got a lot of stuff myself, and figure when I croak, it will go to a charity like Project Healing Waters.

I wouldn't worry about the polar bear too much as it looks very old. It doesn't look to be in good shape either, since the hair has yellowed considerably with age. It's also not the prime length of 1 1/2 to 3 inches. There's nothing that jumps out as major money on any one or two items. It's a very nice bunch of stuff. Just break it up into smaller lots of similar items to sell to get the most out of it.

Regards,

Mark

Hi

Thanks you guys for all the help. Yeah that if that polar bear it is actually very long maybe 3 to 4 inches just the picture perspective..... Should I even offer that for sale? Or is it bad juju..... I think I'm going to drive 2 Newport Beach next week to the fly store and get a physical appraisal I think they want $75..... Then they can grade it for me and I have an ebay account I sell regularly maybe the way to go..... So that really colorful cake was nothing special that thing is beautiful in person but I don't know what it is LOL it's light blue and green and yellow looks like a parrot or some tropical bird.... I really appreciate all the help from everybody here I'll keep you updated on progress.....

... So that really colorful cake was nothing special that thing is beautiful in person but I don't know what it is LOL it's light blue and green and yellow looks like a parrot or some tropical bird.... I really appreciate all the help from everybody here I'll keep you updated on progress.....

I've never seen a whole skin in person, but I'm pretty sure that's a Golden Pheasant. A spectacular Asian bird full of wonderful feathers.The vivid orange and black neck feathers are called tippets, and they are used in many patterns. A full skin is $100 retail.

Golden-Pheasant-01.jpg

I agree that it is a Golden Pheasant skin, but I don't think it is a $100 skin. The tail is missing and the crest feathers on the head look to be mostly gone. I hope I'm wrong but it looks too much like the one I have and it was only $10.

VERY limited use for an entire Golden Pheasant skin. The crests are used in the Royal Coachman, but that's the only common fly I can think of and they don't use feathers from all over. You've got a LOT of stuff, there, but if I had that much stuff, and I almost do, I'd take up tying...for the rest of my life and that of my kids and grand kids.

Tippets are used in several patterns as tailing fibers to include the Royal Coachman, dry, wet and streamer. The crests for sure used in the Gray Ghost or most anywhere you want a yellow throat..

I wouldn't pay 75 bucks for an appraisal. Personally I don't think your collection of stuff will fetch a lot to cover what you paid with the added cost of an appraisal. Must of what you have is worth only a few dollars. There are some things that may be worth some money but they are old and used and most likely nobody will pay top dollar (used top dollar)for it unless they see it, feel it, and stroke it.