Fly Tying
themattman

Two issues

Also, it sounds snobbish, and is, but fly "poles" is a term not much in vogue around the stream side. Unless of course you are telling your wife that "shucks Dear you just had to get that there ol' fly pole" in a desperate -- and likely vain -- hope that she will not ask "how much did this one cost?"

Rocco

Correct!

A fishing "pole" is a fishing pole with a no guides or reel seat and the fishing line tied to the end. So a tenkara "rod" is actually a tenkara "pole" like a cane pole is a fishing "pole"

A fishing "rod" is a relatively modern invention that began with the invention of the rod guide and then a reel seat to hold the reel with line. So fly rods are rods with guides and a reel seat. Fly poles are the poles with line on the end.

"A fishing rod, or a fishing pole, is a tool used to catch fish. A "fishing pole" is a simple pole or stick for suspending a line (normally fastened to the tip), with a hooked fishing lure or bait. They are most commonly made of fiberglass, carbon fiber or, classically, bamboo, and are the only fishing levers properly referred to as "poles." In contrast, "fishing rod" refers to a more sophisticated casting tool fitted with line guides and a reel for line stowage."

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Fishing_rod

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100729080002AAtK10r

One of the posts from the Yahoo site Silver linked ... "You folks that say a fishing pole and fishing rod are the same thing are obviously not real fishermen."

If you want to call your fly rod a fishing pole or a fly pole ... go for it. I love to see the purist get their knickers in a twist over such a small lingual faux pas.

an expensive fishing "pole" = tenkara

pole schmole - call it whatever you want!

First you need proper techniques. If you continue to practice with flawed techniques, you simply imprint those mistakes. If possible find some place to take a lesson in basic casting.

That just may be the single best advice I've ever read!!!

I started fly fishing in 1972 . . . totally self-taught! I was fishing small streams and technique didn't really matter that much. I got where I could place the fly where I wanted it and I caught fish. But my technique sucked! For the last 10 years I've been trying to "unlearn" all my casting mistakes!