Fly Tying

palmering

elk hair caddis, wooly buggers etc are excellent examples of 'palmering'

I'll tell you one thing flytire. That is the first time I've ever seen anyone live or video use that method to tie off the head. I'll stick with the Materelli or the half hitch tool on the opposite end of my bobbin.

well everybody is different. smile.png

i guess since his fingers are already in the area might as well use them :)

I think that some commercial tiers use that method of tying off the head. Supposed to save time instead of picking up the tool. I have a dubbing needle that has a hole in the tapered end for tying a half hitch. Actually faster than the tying tool as a Materelli.

Yes David Cammiss .... I used to watch his videos all the time.

Great tool for learning and yes he is a bit special when it comes to that trade mark hand whip finish of his lol

I have never used a tool to whip finish a fly. I make a loop, about four or five wraps and use scissors to keep the loop from tangling as I pull the end. was taught that way as a child. It is quicker.

I have never used a tool to whip finish a fly. I make a loop, about four or five wraps and use scissors to keep the loop from tangling as I pull the end. was taught that way as a child. It is quicker.

I think with practice it could be quicker, but it really is kinda the old way. I think its more effective and quicker when you learn it well, but yeah. I find that people that are older, tend to use the hand whip finish method, and the younger crowd uses a tool. I think its awesome for people to use their hands to whip finish, I just never learned it. I am part of the younger crowd that learned fly tying after the popularization of the tools came out.

I think with practice it could be quicker, but it really is kinda the old way. I think its more effective and quicker when you learn it well, but yeah. I find that people that are older, tend to use the hand whip finish method, and the younger crowd uses a tool. I think its awesome for people to use their hands to whip finish, I just never learned it. I am part of the younger crowd that learned fly tying after the popularization of the tools came out.

So are you saying young people are like the dumbing down of fly tying?

So are you saying young people are like the dumbing down of fly tying?
Haha. I guess so, but I meant it in a nicer way... Plus I'm one of those "younger crowds". I respect the older way, but sometimes tools might make it easier (not always better). Just like computers, they are a tool that might help you do things, but in reality they end up complicating things more. Make sense? My grandfathers generation got by just fine without ever seeing computers, yet try and tell a 20 year old not to use a computer for anything for a whole month and I think they will end up in the mental institution! Haha

It's just what your used too.

You said it troutguy. :-) I often use fingers to do whip finish on bigger streamers and buggers and such but I use the same whip finish the matarelli puts on. If a person has done as different types of knots as I have in as many different materials as I have over the years you begin to realize many knots are just a variation of the same thing applied in a different place. Both the matarelli tie off and the nail knot to put your leader or backing on are just versions of the snell knot we used in steelheading to make our yarn flies on the water before we stuck a rubber egg on. If you look at almost any good knot you can see some version of a figure eight in that draws into a barrel. Not all knots but many or most.

So how much are you making off your youtube channel, if anything?

Youtube says Im not allowed to discuss specifics with others. But no, not much yet. Its only been up for 4 months... Why?

Because that basically makes your posts little more than spam. It is one thing to post techniques, but if you have not only monetized your videos and continually troll the board seeking more hits, one is not exactly going to be inspired by your behavior.

Does not Tim Cammisia from Trout and Feather.com occasionally do about the same thing? However, there are differences to me. TIm's videos are far less frequent and he does not keep coming back to make comment after comment to drag out the topic as long as he can. His approach is MUCH more professional.

In other words, I appreciate McFlyLures' videos, but could do without the subsequent comments under the guise of wanting to improve the video.

As for the OP question, sometimes copper can and sometimes it can't. In some waters you just can't get down to where the fish are with even a single split shot so there's no reason a single copper john will do it

I hate fishing with sinkers, but even more I hate getting skunked while those around me are catching fish with weighted flies. In swift water, takes enough weight to get down to the fish. If they're shallow feeding, no problem. If they're deep and the water is swift, it may take two or three.

I tie several of my nymphs with as heavy a weight as possible. Whether it's a Walt's worm, PT, copper john, etc. using lead and a tungsten head really adds to the weight and eliminates the need for shot. as long as you're good with casting two or 3 nymphs at a time, I don't see the need for shot.