Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chia

help fishing Navarre

I think I've seen only one snake in the salt in 36 years here. Can't say the same for them cotton mouths in the fresh stuff though. Gators are in both and the biggest I've ever seen was up by the space center. Jellies ain't bad at all.

Swamp Fly how's the water your way from the O discharge?

Cotton mouth are bad in Missouri.

Chia, you might be right ... they might be bad in your area.

Probably not nearly as bad as you think. I consider myself an amateur herpetologist. I've gone searching, looking for the poisonous snakes people claim they've seen. Most of the time, if I do find THE snake, it turns out to be a non-venomous species.

Your State's Department of Conservation backs up my opinion on this.

https://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2004/06/cottonmouth-confusion

I think I've seen only one snake in the salt in 36 years here. Can't say the same for them cotton mouths in the fresh stuff though. Gators are in both and the biggest I've ever seen was up by the space center. Jellies ain't bad at all.

I grew up on the oceans here in Florida and the only snake I have ever seen in the salt that I can remember was a sea snake my dad caught on a reef in the upper keys as a kid. When he brought it up it had wrapped itself into a knotted ball around the line.

It's been bad. Lee county was also declared a disaster area or whatever they are calling it because of the discharges fro this and previous years. They were supposed to reduce discharge, but I have not had the opportunity to really look since then. I hope to be fishing around Placida, Bull Bay, and Turtle bay tomorrow, I doubt I will see much there one way or another.

Cotton mouth are bad in Missouri.

Chia, you might be right ... they might be bad in your area.

Probably not nearly as bad as you think. I consider myself an amateur herpetologist. I've gone searching, looking for the poisonous snakes people claim they've seen. Most of the time, if I do find THE snake, it turns out to be a non-venomous species.

Your State's Department of Conservation backs up my opinion on this.

https://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2004/06/cottonmouth-confusion

Most of Missouri I would agree with. However, the castor river area is not as cold as most of our water. My family also owns a large tract of land with a very swampy area. This place is crawling with them.