Fly Tying

I tied a closers once when I started tying.I think it may be time to giver another go!Nicely done!

Taking color clues for predator flies from popular casting lures is a good idea. We can even build in some design features of proven 'plugs' by creative applications of relatively new fly tying techniques like reverse tying of wing materials over flared foundations -- fat plugs? Fly tyers are even ahead of plug casters in that we can use weights and selection and placement of materials to obtain a variety of fly movements in the water whereas the plug casters are pretty much stuck with what comes out of the box at no joke costs.

But it is useful to keep in mind that many -- most?-- really successful plugs look and act nothing like the promotional names attached to them. Ever see a fresh water shad with a blue back for example or purple or chartreuse? Those colors do work and sometimes to the exclusion of all others but they often are only selectively at their best under specific light and water conditions. The same plugs in Fire Tiger, Black, Crawfish and even in some psychodelic patterns also trigger big predator strikes and impressive catches.

Adapting patterns to your needs is also half the fun.

Rocco

The reason for the criss cross wraps along the belly hair are well explained by Bob Clouser in his book, on the web, and in the videos where he is tying the fly. Nobody really seems to give a crap about listening to the man who developed the style though. Just put some dumbell eyes and bucktail on a hook and call it a "Clouser". It's all the same, right?

at the 3:32 mark in the video, bob clouser tells you about the criss cross/spiral wrap of the body hair.

The reason for the criss cross wraps along the belly hair are well explained by Bob Clouser in his book, on the web, and in the videos where he is tying the fly. Nobody really seems to give a crap about listening to the man who developed the style though. Just put some dumbell eyes and bucktail on a hook and call it a "Clouser". It's all the same, right?

Breathe, it will be ok... Lol

I prefer tying this way. And this is taken from his site!

clous.JPG

I thought bend backs were where the hook was bent back slightly. The picture you posted looks more like a regular clouser than a bend back... Am I mistaking?

Kinda reminds me of the time Jeb Bush had given a rousing speech at a rally and forgot his mic was still on and as he walked off stage he said, "Oh please clap".

Yeah, I fish bass, but that's basically just another clouser and if the colors work better in your shad lakes great. My shad lake here prefers all white with a red throat.

ps...I come back to edit and say it's a nice video showing a good clouser tying method. Some, and I've never figured out why, like to put a crisscross basket weave behind the eyes and I've never known why that's done.

Nick

LOL, I am just trying to get discussion going. The more discussion, the more views I get. The more views I get, the better my channel does. Plus I always like to get feedback from people. I am not looking for someone to "clap" haha.

Yeah, generally the bass eat most any color. All white, chartreuse and white, red and white, most they eat. I just know that the pro bass fishermen use this color pattern a lot. So, thats why I tie it. Yes its just another clouser with a different color pattern.

Regarding the cris cross pattern behind the eyes, I don't understand why either. Maybe except to save thread? But I always do fine when just wrapping smoothly. Anyone here know why the criss cross is done?

Kinda reminds me of the time Jeb Bush had given a rousing speech at a rally and forgot his mic was still on and as he walked off stage he said, "Oh please clap".

Yeah, I fish bass, but that's basically just another clouser and if the colors work better in your shad lakes great. My shad lake here prefers all white with a red throat.

ps...I come back to edit and say it's a nice video showing a good clouser tying method. Some, and I've never figured out why, like to put a crisscross basket weave behind the eyes and I've never known why that's done.

Nick

LOL, I am just trying to get discussion going. The more discussion, the more views I get. The more views I get, the better my channel does. Plus I always like to get feedback from people. I am not looking for someone to "clap" haha.

Yeah, generally the bass eat most any color. All white, chartreuse and white, red and white, most they eat. I just know that the pro bass fishermen use this color pattern a lot. So, thats why I tie it. Yes its just another clouser with a different color pattern.

Regarding the cris cross pattern behind the eyes, I don't understand why either. Maybe except to save thread? But I always do fine when just wrapping smoothly. Anyone here know why the criss cross is done?

*takes deep breath*. Ahhhhh. Ok life is good now. Lol. ;)

it's all good. I find it continually amazing how such a simple fly style- literally 4 components - causes so much weirdness among everyone.

it's all good. I find it continually amazing how such a simple fly style- literally 4 components - causes so much weirdness among everyone.

Lol

I prefer tying this way. And this is taken from his site!

clous.JPG

I thought bend backs were where the hook was bent back slightly. The picture you posted looks more like a regular clouser than a bend back... Am I mistaking?

I'm not sure why they called it that. The hook isn't bent. The only difference is all the material is tied opposite the eyes. No need to bend the hook.