Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Techniques for using Antron yarn

Noob here... :D I have found a caddis larva pattern that I really like; however, it uses Antron yarn, which in itself is no problem, but when I go to wrap it around the hook, I have "flat" places and places where the yarn looks like a thick piece of thread.

My question is: is there a technique for using this yarn so it's all flat or all thick? Should I twist the yarn first to make it tighter?

Thank you... SD

what does the fly you found look like?

twisting the yarn into a rope will give the fly a segmented look while leaving it flat wont. you may have to retwist the yarn after 2-3 wraps up the hook shank to maintain the segmented look

twisted into a rope

12CR1JV_lg.jpg

As flytire has shown, if you twist the yarn it will look like rope or thread.

What happens is as you wrap the yarn, it will start to twist on each half wrap and you will get the effect that you have. If you want it flat, you will have to untwist the yarn as you wrap and it will lay flat. If you have a rotary vise , the yarn will not twist as it is wrapped.

if you want the twist to stay tight just wrap the yarn on the hook in the opposite direction; often referred to as counter winding.