Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
aggieangler

update from a year ago: Hopper? nope, it's a Stone!

here's the thread from a year ago: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=81647&hl=

I went to Mike Mercer's online shop and ordered a dozen of the flush floater stones...only to be told they had none available.. After almost a year, I finally decided my tying was good enough to try to whip some up myself!!! any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

post-43055-0-40685800-1464704263_thumb.jpg

Well, let me put it this way ... I don't care what you call it, it looks like a hopper to me.

AND, it looks like a perfect fish attracting top water presentation, to me.

Lots of color ... If you're fishing for bass and panfish ... hang on, the bites going to be ON !!!

Aggie, my only comment is the body profile. I think that most stonefly imitations lay flat or flush on the water as the name of this one implies. Your extended body is more of a mayfly profile.

Yours will probably fish, but it may have a difficult time riding right side up with no abdomen support on the water.

any tips on how to tie in the foam so it stays flat, and doesn't curl up in that mayfly form?

Thanks for the input

Hi aggieangler,

Comparing yours against the one you're trying to duplicate, a few things are:

- The foam body is tied down too far back on the hook shank. Maybe use a little less tension when tying down in the right spot so the body doesn't pop up as much in the back.

- The foam body needs to be shorter. The end of the body on the original goes to the hook bend.

- The two color wing needs to be shorter. The original ends around where the hook point is below.

- Use less dubbing and not as wide just in front of the two color wing.

Regards,

Mark

I agree that it will catch fish as it is, but if you must...

If you follow the needle method you can put the hook down the body cavity as far as you want and out the bottom piece of foam, sort of the way you would rig a plastic worm. Then tie the wing and everything else. It should not curl up.

:) these videos are from my friend Zsolt. He lives here in Romania about 4 hours or so from Bucharest. He ties some very nice flies and is really active in the community... hoping to fish with him before before summer is over!