Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
M-Flora

Saber Hooks?

I've been looking at these on flyshacks site and wanted to know if anyone had tried out the smaller sizes of their Straight Eye dry fly #7013 and their #7015 hooks. Specifically in sizes #20 - #24. I can't seem to find much info on these hooks at all. I saw a few mentions of them on here. Trying to avoid buying pricier brands at this point (cheap due to extremely tight budget). I mainly use Allen hooks but their standard dry only goes down to a #20, the N201 (whose shape I like for simple midges only goes down to a #20) and the straight eye (D103S) goes to a #22.

Thanks in advance

~Mike

Quite a few years ago I bought several 100 packs of their hooks. Price was really good. I did notice that some packs had what I would consider a large amount of brittle ones in it. If I recall correctly it was mostly in the scud/caddis pupa models (whatever that number is) sizes 10 through 22. I was encountering 2-3 out of every 10 hooks breaking as I tied or while I was de-barbing. Not just in the scud models but mostly. It would have bothered me more if the price wasn't so darn good.

That was likely 10 years ago so maybe someone else has a more recent review for you.

Cheers

J

Never had much luck with Saber. Very poor quality, so I tend to only buy these for tying classes. You might want to take a look at the Dai-Riki #310 which goes to #22 and the #125 emerger hook goes to #24 which should cover the range your want.

well I already have allens D103S down to a 22 and the N304 down to a size 24, issue is for that smaller size 24 in the same style as the D103S being a flat eye dry fly hook. I'm thinking I'm gunna have to just fork up some money for some TMC 101's. As for the regular dry I'll probably go with Dai riki same with the style I was looking for since it goes down to a 24. Kind of a bummer though lol. Was hoping saber wasn't a bad hook considering they have the shapes and sizes I like. And at 6.99 for a hundred too.

I don't think the evidence in this thread exactly proves saber hooks are a bad hook overall these days. allen and dai-riki also have their detractors. i've bought a few packs of saber hooks in small trout sizes over the winter and have tied a few dozen up so far. none broke in the vise. hopefully they're fine, but trout season for me hasn't really begun yet so the verdict is still out for me. all have been barbless.

eric

fresno, ca.

I've decided to buy a few packs and see how it goes more so the 7013 dry fly in 20-24. Well see how that goes.

Be sure to post your results as a fup. I've used a number of their trout sized hooks (12, 14, 16), and really like them!

Will do PHG, I did want to take them out on the water once I tied up some flies but that's not going to happen for a while considering I just moved down to Fayetteville from NJ, I'm waiting on getting a car here. Plan on moving out to the western part of the state once I'm done with school.