Fly Tying
eide

June Flies from the vise

New bluegill bug to test. I didn't get a couple of the legs furled quite as tight as I'd like but I doubt the fish will care. It's lightly weighted with .015 non-lead wire and small bead chain (powder painted hot orange) to keel it point up.

1C8F2309-76F1-4460-8792-AC54122C29C8_zps

Sorry.....the furled legs are a coated wire? Really cool looking tie.

J

New bluegill bug to test. I didn't get a couple of the legs furled quite as tight as I'd like but I doubt the fish will care. It's lightly weighted with .015 non-lead wire and small bead chain (powder painted hot orange) to keel it point up.

J

If i had to wager a guess, its round rubber legs, that were twisted up in his hand before tying in.

J

You've lost me...there's no wire in the legs. The non-lead wire for weight is wrapped on the shank behind the bead chain eyes. The legs are just furled round rubber.

You've lost me...there's no wire in the legs. The non-lead wire for weight is wrapped on the shank behind the bead chain eyes. The legs are just furled round rubber.

Gotcha. One last question....how in the heck are they not un-twisting?

Thanks

J

Gotcha. One last question....how in the heck are they not un-twisting?

Thanks

J

I twist and furl the leg in the fingers, then tie it in. The thread wraps hold the tension on them, keeping them twisted.

But what is the body made of??? could be beads, or foam coated with resin or epoxy? Maybe a SBS or video would answer all our questions at once.

But what is the body made of??? could be beads, or foam coated with resin or epoxy? Maybe a SBS or video would answer all our questions at once.

The Body looks like a dubbing that is something similar to SLF Nymph dubbing, with a peice of Flash running the length, and then segmented with a gold wire. The thorax and head look to be the same as well, just wrapped around those sweet looking red barbell eyes, and the legs are the yellow round rubber that were twisted up and tied in. And then for the legs maybe each of the legs/tails is its own separate peice of rubber, Or tied in as sets. How close am I Cream?

Here's a recipe to hold you off until I 1) actually test the fly and catch fish on it then decide that 2) it's worth the time/effort to do a video for a pattern that works and is somewhat proven. :)

Hook: DaiRiki #270 size 10 (stonefly type hook)

Eyes/Weight: small bead chain, .020 non lead wire

Tail: furled rubber legs

Rib: yellow small Ultra Wire

Flashback: black holographic tinsel

Shellback: black scud back

Body: black Spectrablend nymph dubbing

Legs: furled rubber legs

post-37956-0-62481800-1465391936_thumb.jpg Retros Tea tree beetle tied on a kamasan B175 hook size #14