Fly Tying
lsu_tigers

Fly Tying Bench

Isu

Made several bug stations over the years , here are things I have learned from experiences:

I like a U shaped design, my chair has swivel wheels so I can move around to get to my storage containers

I use plastic drawers for storage, buy them at Office supply houses (pretty cheap), they come stacked in 3-6 drawers set and various sizes.....design storage based on materials ..I did however build a really nice "cape caddy"....cabinet with 15 drawers, 18*7 to keep my saddles and capes...used spanish cedar to line the drawers...., and I use cigar boxes that i buy at local smoke shop for storage containers as well.

I keep adding storage as needed.

Keep bench width to arms reach...24-30 inches....I do not like to have a pull out drawers directly in front of where I have the vise...seems like I was always having to move stuff to open the drawers, so I put in shelves (off the table) directly in front of me.

design bench top to keep your tools...there are lots of "tool" design gadgets out there...build your own, they are simple and you can save some bucks

I used MDF laminated with hard board...its cheap and very stable...

good luck..vince

My bench

For now my bench is just this counter in my utility room in the basement. That small cleared off area on the left is where I tie. This week I plan on tearing out all the cupboards and installing peg board. I'll mount a few shelves for books and reference material. The right third of the counter is gonna have a couple aquariums for studyinginsects. The center is gonna be where I move my computer to. Then I'll have a tool caddy and my vice on the far fright. All together it't about 10'-12' long and about 30" deep. with all that space on the wall for peg board I should be able to have a lot of room to hang materials up retail style. Then to finish it all off I'm gonna install track lighting the length of the bench. If possible I want to have a small area for a picture booth to take pics of flys and bugs. I should be able to get it all set up in a day or so, I'll post a pic when it's all set up. It should be pretty sweet

QUOTE (skunked @ Feb 21 2005, 12:32 PM)
My bench

For now my bench is just this counter in my utility room in the basement. That small cleared off area on the left is where I tie. This week I plan on tearing out all the cupboards and installing peg board. I'll mount a few shelves for books and reference material. The right third of the counter is gonna have a couple aquariums for studyinginsects. The center is gonna be where I move my computer to. Then I'll have a tool caddy and my vice on the far fright. All together it't about 10'-12' long and about 30" deep. with all that space on the wall for peg board I should be able to have a lot of room to hang materials up retail style. Then to finish it all off I'm gonna install track lighting the length of the bench. If possible I want to have a small area for a picture booth to take pics of flys and bugs. I should be able to get it all set up in a day or so, I'll post a pic when it's all set up. It should be pretty sweet

microwave and a beer fridge, and your set smile.gif

Benches, tables, stations, desks, once spring gets here, we will be too busy fishing to even thnk about our tying bench until the fall.

Conehead

You might try this website to review their plans.

http://www.masterpiece-woodworks.com/fly_t...enter_plans.htm

A lot of computer hutches and armoires might also suffice.

I myself find that an antique clockmakers table has the perfect height and storage capacity but I echo the issue with the drawers behind the vise being inaccessible.

Also if you do use MDF, paint the work surface white (MDF takes paint very nicely)... a light background makes the flies SO much easier to see when you're tying.

Orvis,

I've had that page bookmarked since you originally posted it, it's just beautiful. I have plans to bild one very similiar when I'm done setting up my UT area,

hi skunked

great to hear that

back here in holland on a dutch forum also a few people had made one themself

so its great to share it

i wish you good luck and if you get stuk contact me and i try to help

johan

a frind of my is working on a autocad draw of this bench
when its finnish i post it here

Hi orvis. Would it be possible to get an autocad drawing of that? I have access to autocad and would like to check it out!

BFR

At the moment I am using a Rolltop desk as a bench. The positive side is my little one can't open it and get to the hooks and various implements of destruction stored within. The negative side is there is no lip to attach a clamp to so I am limited to a pedestal vise. Also it can be kind of dark inside so a lamp is a requirement.