Fly Tying
Bimini15

Idea for foam hopper bodies

I admit it. I can't cut freehand symmetrical hopper bodies for the life of me. And I am not so good at drawing on the foam either... So I figured that I can use a paper clip to mark the foam long enough to cut a nice hopper body shape. Picture below is self explanatory. Different size paperclip for different size bodies. And, why not?... Differently formed paperclips can be used for dragonflies, crease flies, etc...post-52874-0-59305500-1464818286_thumb.jpeg

I use a C-pap and in the back there is a small block of foam where the filter goes. I have started to save them for foam hoppers, ants and beetles.

Can't even cut with scissors... How do you suppose I would have thought of that? :)

It sounds like a good idea. I have not tried, but I will.

great idea I can't freehand either and have lots of paper clips in various sizes, more importantly using wire as a pattern has so many possibilities.

Chernobyl Ants just use simple strips of foam. No fancy cuts.

Do some searches for foam hoppers. There are several that just use straight cuts. If you some detail check River Road Creations. They have some nice foam hopper cutters.

Yeah, have to agree with rstaight, no fancy shapes necessary. Just use straight strips and if you feel it necessary, you can cut off the corners to 'dress' the fly. Would not recommend trying to burn shapes. If you must have shaped wings/bodies, then the River Road Creation cutters are the way to go.

Thanks for the comments.

The "need" for shapes other than strips comes from seeing the nice cutters from River Road Creations.

Just trying to achieve something similar for free.

Just do it cause it's fun to experiment. If this is a hobby, that is the main reason to tie flies, not to save time or money. I know I haven't saved any money tying flies!!