Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
themattman

Fly lines

Ripping a 3 sink while trolling buggers or streamers is a very effective technique!

Yes, by the same token, so can dead drifting at other times be, lol!

OK, thanks. What about when i am fishing on a lake in boat? I am going to be fishing in Lake Michigan in July. Would the floating work fine here as well?

Last winter, while I was in Illinois, there was a guest tier at one of the meetings I went to, with D.R.I.F.T.

He was a guide on the Great Lakes, mostly Michigan ... and he targeted Small Mouth Bass and Carp. With both of those fish, he went to areas shallow enough to see the bottom, and fished towards shoreline. He was, mostly, targeting fish in less than 5 feet of water.

So, again, I have to ask you to consider "how deep"? Obviously, you won't be fishing 200 to 400 feet deep for Lake Trout with a fly rod ... so what kind of fish are you going after, how deep will you be fishing for them?

Floating line allows me to fish up to 12 feet deep. If I routinely angled in 20 feet or more, I'd have to seriously consider using a sinking line.

Obviously, you won't be fishing 200 to 400 feet deep for Lake Trout with a fly rod

Break Rules! Explore Limits!

33# Lake trout caught on 8 ft custom 13 wt fly rod, Abel reel spooled with 20# lead core, 4 foot 20# mono leader, 6" Pink tube fly ( trimble shark pattern), barbless hook. Caught trolling in 55 feet of water, Great Bear Lake, NWT, Canada July 2015.

post-54459-0-04941000-1465416733_thumb.jpg

Sorry to open this can o' worms ... but I just can't let it pass.

Trolling with a fly rod is ... trolling ... not fly fishing.

Are you catching your panfish and bass with the floating line? If so, why change?

I have gear-whore tendencies. I have an extreme front weighted floater, a clear intermediate, and a type 3 sinking line on three reels. i usually take three rods with me (i wrap my own rods on cheap import blanks), leave one in the car. i also have a deep sinking short outbound waiting for a reel someday. If i fish for stillwater stripers in the fall/winter, the fish can be 15-25 feet deep. early spring the fish have been 10-15 feet deep. i'm looking forward to late spring/summer topwater action.

NICE lake trout Meeshka!

eric

fresno, ca.