Fly Tying
Chris_NH

Durability of whip finish with head cement vs. 2 whip finishes?

ok If you were to start a whip finish, and only make one turn then pull it tight, what would it be?

I think that would be just a half hitch.

EXACTLY. A whip finish is the same knot, but with multiple turns.

And that makes it a different knot. Kind of like an overhand knot isn't the same as a double overhand knot. Or a person isn't the same as a crowd.

Look at the pictures already and one will clearly see that there is not one similarity between a snell knot and a half hitch.

Half hitch

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the knot. For the cartoon sailor, see Half Hitch (comic strip).
Half hitch
300px-Half_hitch.jpg
A half hitch tied around a pole
Category Hitch Origin Ancient Related Two half-hitches, Clove hitch, Munter hitch, single hitch Releasing Non-jamming Typical use As part of other knots ABoK #50

The half hitch is a simple overhand knot, where the working end of a line is brought over and under the standing part. Insecure on its own, it is a valuable component of a wide variety of useful and reliable hitches, bends, and knots.

Two successive half hitches tied around an object makes up the common clove hitch. Two successive half hitches tied around the standing part a rope is known as two-half-hitches or double half hitch.[1]

One instance where a half hitch stands on its own without additional embellishment is when added to a timber hitch to help stabilize a load in the direction of pull. A timber hitch is tied on the far end of the load to bind it securely and a half hitch made at the forward end to serve as a guide for the rope. In this instance, the half hitch combined with a timber hitch is known as a killick hitch or kelleg hitch.[2]

The knot is attractive to the eye and so is used decoratively for French whipping which is also known as half hitch whipping.[3]

... I posted pics of this using very heavy line a few years ago on this forum but don't have time to search them out now. Once you see it, it is completely obvious.

JSzymczyk's photos and explanation in an earlier thread illustrate wrapping towards the eye perfectly. http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=70282

I totally support any persons right to post this up and discuss it but I just have to say that I believe this has nothing to do with catching fish. This is the kind of stuff you save to work on when you are like 93 and cant fish safely anymore.

More power to ya though, I'd be a quite the hypocrite if I said I didn't just nerd out on certain things from time to time

Dave G, that is NOT the same knot as made with fly tying thread and a "half hitch tool"... yes this has reached the point of being pointless. Believe it or don't believe it.

In the realm of fly tying, the knot commonly accepted as a "whip finish" is BETTER than the knot commonly accepted as a "half hitch" in the context of finishing off the head of a fly. Do whatever you want. It's bedtime now.

... but I just have to say that I believe this has nothing to do with catching fish.

Hmmm ... I guess that's why this thread is on the "Fly TYING" forum ... not the "Fly FISHING" forum. This is the part of the site where we talk about fly TYING stuff.

I've been tying flies close to 50 years and don't own a whip finishing tool,never have & don't how to use one unless I got on YouTube to figure it out.

I do that two finger thing(don't know what it's called) and use head cement or fingernail polish... Never had a head come undone....and with today's CA glues you don't even need a knot.

What was the question again?

Dave G, that is NOT the same knot as made with fly tying thread and a "half hitch tool"... yes this has reached the point of being pointless. Believe it or don't believe it.

In the realm of fly tying, the knot commonly accepted as a "whip finish" is BETTER than the knot commonly accepted as a "half hitch" in the context of finishing off the head of a fly. Do whatever you want. It's bedtime now.

JS, don't get bent over it, it's only a knot.

... but I just have to say that I believe this has nothing to do with catching fish.

Hmmm ... I guess that's why this thread is on the "Fly TYING" forum ... not the "Fly FISHING" forum. This is the part of the site where we talk about fly TYING stuff.

For sure man, I know what page it is. didn't mean anything by it. I feel like this guy got his answer 9 different ways and anything beyond that just seems pointless though i do get it.

Yeah ... I get you, H.

But beating dead horses, as flytire alluded to, (and you, I guess) just happens sometimes. People just gotta get their point out.