Fly Tying
Digitalis

Help with Vise Selection.

The perfectly inline hook rotation is a gimmick. I can't remember the last time I bothered to adjust mine for different sized hooks. A bit of off center rotation does absolutely nothing to bother my tying.

The Renzetti Traveler is a fine vice - I've got one - but it's very small. I much prefer my Dyna-King Trekker for everyday tying.

And if I tied mostly streamers I would not even consider using the Renzetti Traveler as my primary vise.

The perfectly inline hook rotation is a gimmick. I can't remember the last time I bothered to adjust mine for different sized hooks. A bit of off center rotation does absolutely nothing to bother my tying.

The Renzetti Traveler is a fine vice - I've got one - but it's very small. I much prefer my Dyna-King Trekker for everyday tying.

And if I tied mostly streamers I would not even consider using the Renzetti Traveler as my primary vise.

Just adding to what you say above, Chris. If you do things like make dubbing ropes with thread or spin peacock herl onto thread by using the rotary feature, then the more off center the hook the more difficult this becomes as the thread wants to wind up the shank of the hook if the hook is not fairly close to in line with center.. That said, you can always center the hook to be close to center rather than adjust the head of the vise, it's just all about knowing your vise is all ( much as you have said already). I mostly use rotary for this feature and for wrapping bodies of streamers with materials and my vise is not true rotary but just on plane with my tying table top. I have no problem aligning my hook pretty close to center, though it takes one added step. And spinning is done with the hook upside down, once spun, I just re-position the hook in the jaws the standard way.

But there is a trade off between just straight line rotary like I have and true rotary, the elbow on a true rotary limits your rotary speed by being out of balance. If you watch any Norm Norlander videos as he uses the Nor Vise for tying classic streamer patterns, anyone can see how a straight line vise and especially one like his with ball bearings, can excel at spinning materials. It's not all about getting material on the hook, though rotary vises can aid in that too. If it's true rotary or not is up to personal taste. Now I can't get anywhere near the spinning speed Norm does with my vise but still manage to make ropes in the way he does, though I do add a touch of wax..

Won't hurt to look at the Marc Petitjean Swiss Master vise!

that is expensive.